New 200A Vesc based Flipsky ESC

@giga, does the esc need powered on before you connect it to the laptop or will the usb outlet on the laptop be enough? I plugged it in and nothing showed on the laptop but i didnt have the battery connected to the vesc

There is a solder jumper to have USB powering the VESC (see R1 on the top of the first page of the schematics here).
Usually this jumper is not set because you don’t want the VESC voltage regulator to mess around with the USB voltage regulator in your pc. Also it doesn’t make much sense to connect the VESC alone, without battery and motor.
So yes, this is normal.
Connect any power supply (any battery, old laptop charger, old hard drive power supply, charger etc…be creative) with >=10V and you can set it up.
Tho, for the FOC motor params I really recommend you to use the final electrical setup (Battery, connectors, cable lengths etc.) otherwise your motor maybe won’t start smoothly later, in your final setup (because e.g. different cable lengths change the resistance and inductance the motor setup, so if you teach the ESC the wrong values from your test setup, it wont run properly in your final setup, or at least you got to do it again).

2 Likes

What pipe and pump do you use to cool your FSESC?

Im after picking up a 3.3 or 5v pump but my hose only has single ends. The FSESC takes 2 inputs and 2 outputs. So do I need 2 pumps or Is there a dual ended tube or how have you done it?

All Pipes are Connect to each other. You can just bridge two by a small tube and use the opposite ones for in and outcome. I was even thinking about to seal two of them with a screw. I know already two case where the has been water leakage; I fixed this with Teflon tape. For the pump I used 12v one:

Model B

1 Like

no, it’s winter here in Europe so I will have to wait a little bit more. not just that, I am expecting few new VESCs on the market this spring, up to 16s. that should be perfect for efoil.

1 Like

You could try the LIFT / FR way: an inlet in the pod nose that sends water up to your ESC without pump. See here and later posts:

1 Like

Ya, im thinking of a combob 5v pump and that inlet at the nost should be enough

1 Like

I had a 12v pump with temperature switch as a backup just in case I needed it and it’s never ever kicked in! In my newer build I just took it out. Now all I have in my compartment is a battery, ESC and receiver. So much simpler!

1 Like

Totally agree with Jezza! You don’t need a pump to get enough flow to watercool your system! I used to have a 12v pump and I ditched it. Now I don’t have to worry about the pump sucking air and turning it on/off.

Which ESC did you use with no cooling ?

1 Like

All ESCs need cooling! I just didn’t use a pump. Instead I used natural flow of the water with an inlet in the nose cone. If you don’t use water-cooling, you’ll need a large heatsink for passive air cooling.

Si which ESC did you use with passive cooling ?

Freely Arc200. Any ESC with a proper temp cutoff will work though.

What hose diameter are you using?

4mm ID 8MM OD silicone hose.

You could probably use the VESC 75/300 with passive cooling but you may need to take some breaks if you want to ride hard and fast for an hour straight as passive cooling can only cool it so far.

1 Like

I’m setting up my 75/300 in an aluminum box as a heatsink, wrapped in copper tubing, and don’t plan to use a pump. Just ram pressure water cooling from the nose cone.

2 Likes

Did you fill that box with corrosionX?

Are you kidding? Its @Flightjunkie. he fills everything with corrosionx! :joy:

Joking aside though. That would probably be smart. That ESC would be bombproof if so. Looks great!

2 Likes

Lol that’s what I thought! :joy::joy: Talk about going for the overkill lol!

1 Like