Michion's Build

Yeah, very stable. Its actually slightly diheadral, not flat, which also helps stability. A big delta wing is the way to go on an efoil that doesnt need to be very nimble.

Foils dont really care how much you weigh. Well not as much as you would think. It just means you would trim the stabilizer a bit more than me and run at a lower AOA. Im 95kg and Im assuming you are less.

Im not sure how fast Im going when it foils up. maybe 15 kph. Foiling below this speed would be pretty boring for me. I tend to just ride the board on the water and jump on the foil when im ready.

I think there is merit in riding a wing like the Naish thrust surf foil, if cruising around is your style of riding. My build was always about finding a top speed.

Hi @michion

Thank you so much for your toughts and experience. I have bought a WS1 now, and is now building the propulsion unit. Would you mind sharing step or stl file of the propeller MaB designed for you?

Have a search for MaB’s build thread. He put the STL in there.

2 Likes

Yea, but i Think there is 3-4 different. Thought he might have designed one special for you.

What size are you using?

Im using MaB’s. 145 mm x 305 pitch.

New board on the go. I wish someone sold them already.

So much work!

11 Likes

NICE! How did you do the bin? Do you have a mold for this?

I am not as far as you, but close.

1 Like

Looks great. What dimensions did you go for? Did you mould the hatch separately first?

150x 72cm. About 11cm thick.

For a custom one off, I just vacuumed the carbon to the blank after I routed the rebates etc. Just need to be careful with vacuum pressures on the EPS.

1 Like

What did you use for creating vacuum? Do you have a special pump with regulator? I was thinking of making a mold. But now I am working on another solution. I will create the frame from wood and printed parts.

The corners will be printed. The sides are wood made from a right angle and straight part glued together. All this will be glassed afterwards.

What will you as lid? And what locks ?

Here some good latches: BSET MATEL Boat Hatch Deck Latch Lift Handle Marine Grade SS316 Cam Flush Pull w Sale - Banggood USA-arrival notice-arrival notice

A mould for the hatch is a better idea as it removes any need to sand the hatch if it is done properly.
For a lid the best way to go is using one of the foam core products and then laminating it solidly enough so there is no flex.

The problem of these latches is that they are “inside” the lid seal. I have a different idea.

Why you need to sand the hatch?

You need to have the hatch as flat as possible where the seals go. If there are any lumps or bumps when glassed theres a risk it might not seal properly. Certain construction techniques allow you to get it perfect without the need for sanding.

Are these compression latches waterproof? The ones I got off aliexpress are crap! And heavy.

I think the banggood ones are. It wouldn’t be hard to make them waterproof even if they aren’t. I think there is another board on the forum using the same latches. I’ll just need to find it.

Here’s the link. He uses the same ones just bought elsewhere: Eduard´s Build from Germany - Builds - FOIL.zone

I don’t think I’ll build stuff after this build. I’ll just try and buy stuff off David at FR.
This folding prop for my build is a masterpiece.

6 Likes

His work is exceptionally good! Granted this is lifts design. But his manufacturing capabilities are great.
Did this set you back a fortune?

David deserves the credit for the design. He sold the license to lift. That’s why we have to pay a bit more for them through FR. Price was high but not totally unreasonable.

Really? Has David told you that? Lift had the folding prop for quite a while before David started making the props for them…

Yep. Maybe it’s just for the latest revision of the folding prop. The guy from lift was saying on one of his vids that the current prop is the third version. 1st to market but third revision.