Maytech remote!

Thanks Tyler you’ve made some good points. To clarify, I have no problem making a video if the screen goes out again. But being a intermittent problem, and the fact that I don’t get to efoil often just delays getting my remote repaired. Maytech are failing to hear that my remote is getting hot during charging and my case has warped. Even though I have shown 2 photo’s as evidence.
I realize that in some of my post about this my wording may sound harsh. But, this company has refused to Meet their warranty obligations in the past, and I feel the forum users need to know this companies true colours.

Can you put the remote in a bucket of water, in similar fashion to how they demo it on their Alibaba page? I think that would be way easier than going efoiling.

1 Like

Thanks, @tylerclark !

1 Like

@Eileen I hope that Maytech continues to grow & make great products.
@tylerclark you should be an peace ambassador.
@rogjalon I hope this works out for you.
I hope to see hobby builders, developers & manufactures work together.
it is still very early days in a exciting new hobby /sport.

Regards,
Alex

5 Likes

If you are talking about a mixed MAYTEC + Arduino, IMHO, this looks complicated

• the remote is sealed
  • if you need to modify/add a new field on a radio frame, both receiver and transmitter side need to handle the new data structures which implies code re-writing. That is easy on a 100% open arduino system and difficult on a mixed arduino+sthg system where retro-engineering is needed.

or does not need the remote to do that as many ESCs can do it like ESC temperature control or water control see

Sometimes it is easier to start from a blank (Arduino) page or from one of the past projects seen on this site

Or you can create a separate BlueTooth 2.4Ghz link which transfers data from the VESC to your smartphone…

after 1 week using it about 3times now I have same problem now. Display shows only increments and throttle control is unreliable up to full power without input… Will see if they do warranty exchange.

1 Like

Good luck with that.
My case warped and they’re now saying it’s a design flaw. The screws are too far apart.

Love all my remotes and found Maytech to be very helpful. Every wireless charging device I have ever used gets pretty warm and even a bit hot depending on a few things like ambient temp, sun and if you accurately place the remote in the center vs offset a bit. The warp is cosmetic and you can take a toothpick with a tiny bit of superglue and tack it down if it bothers you but surely won’t allow water to get in. Just take a video and prove your issue. Easy with a GoPro or bucket of water.

1 Like

I would fill in nonacid based silicon rather than cheap superglue. Glue could react with plastic very easy. Especially when warmed up. Also, i had 3-4 plastic wifi charging devices, none of them had cosmetic warpings and some were rly cheap ebay crap. Price of the remote is way up for that kind of concerns.

1 Like

My idea is not to display more information on the remote control. But to control the esc with more parameters (only expensive one have more features like I want, for example MGM esc).
I thought to connect the remote control on an arduino to read the instruction and then return it on the esc according to other inputs (temperatures, leakage, current / voltage of the battery etc).

For sure it’s always best to read labels. I would never recommend cheap super glue. Try this as I’m not convinced silicon is strong enough bonding. Hope you get it worked out.

Thanks for you help guys. I asked Maytech about potential fixes and apparently if I try to fix it myself, that will void any future warranty. Not that they have offered to replace it this time.

i purchased two remote two weeks apart
one stopped working at all and on the second remote the screen disappeared, returned, flickered for a while and now works properly (only in skateboard mode?)
i also have the remote heating up quite strongly in charging
new product malfunction - happens
in two products at full price
It feels bad
after the video as proof they told me to return them for inspection
i have two efoils ready without a remote :worried::thinking:

1 Like

Well this ain’t good! Maytech may want to be transparent when dealing with forums like this.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @1113.
It’s appears that your remote has identical faults to mine. ( Heating up when on charge and intermittent loss of screen display.)
They told me I need a video as proof that the screen is going off. They told me the heat is normal and the case will warp because of the distance between the screws, but that that doesn’t affect use.

Nobody spells worse than me. But I noticed that “Power” is spelled wrong.

4 Likes

I found this error in the documentation, I was able to acquire. Its says to enter the main menu you need to ( Hold the brake trigger in and then press the throttle trigger.) It should say “function button” rather than “throttle trigger”. Its a simple error but can cause a lot of frustration when things are not working.

1 Like

thanks for pointing it out. We will revise it.

Everyone has diffrent opinions and experinces so here is my points about the system.

I have purchased 2 of these but only.used one so far.

I have had it In the sea 4 times now in surf conditions getting dunked and hit with waves. So far it’s perfromed perfect with no issues and seems waterproof.

Charging has been straightforward gets only luke warm less than my phone that also wirless charges. I can also in feild charge it off my S10 mobile with power share which is cool.

Has good throttle response and I like the % readout.

Also like the signal bars to let Me know I’m connected.

Battery level bars are OK I guess but I would prefer a Simple voltage readout as all pack have diffrent v under load.

I have wraped the handel in red tape to make it easy to find if I drop.it in the water.

Provided hand strap works well but I don’t use it as I tape controller to my paddle.

The reciver I covered in hot glue to water proof that and protect the tiny surface chips.

All in all I LOVE it as its 1 less thing I have to build from scratch and it just works so I’m super happy with that as servo testers and diy throttle control is something I can’t really be bothered with. Plus it’s small and easy to hold.

However my favourite feature is the throttle hold. Makes catching a wave and holding a paddle managable.

Anyway Let’s hope it continues to work well as I have a lot of more surfing planned for if. If anyone’s on the fence considering to give the go I can recommend it as it dose work.

The only negative is I noticed when my control Box goes under the water I can lose signal untill it resurfaces again but it Reconnects quite quickly and is a minor inconvenience.

4 Likes