Maytech remote required modifications before use

This is my V1. It was in salt water only once and it works fine. To me, it looks like it’s well potted. Maybe to add a little bit of superlube and it should be fine. What do you guys think?

Water will still work its way in through the switch. Spraying it with corrosionX will help

Kidding but do you really think it’s worthy of a remote sold as waterproof for 175€/191USD ? :thinking: Should a 200USD waterproof remote use be carefree or with a zip plastic bag ?? :grin:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32971502504.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.728c3f6a6QJDj2&algo_pvid=b253eee8-48cb-436d-bef7-d863a173106c&algo_expid=b253eee8-48cb-436d-bef7-d863a173106c-0&btsid=0ab6fb8815920586452216507e49cf&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

1 Like

It should last about 30days if you use it in saltwater.

But, don’t worry. Maytech will give you $10 off another remote when it fails. :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Has anybody tried to remove the potting material? I would like to know if it comes off easy so you can redo the job with something better.

Yes, that’s what I did. The potting material pulled off easily by hand. But first I had to separate it from the case with a small plastic scrapper. I then covered the switch and sprayed the circuit board with a few coats circuit board lacquer. And then sprayed the whole thing in corrosionX HD.

1 Like

Thats good news! Thanks

What do you say, is it good enough?

Hi.

Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if it’s waterproof out of the box? The answer is no.

I will probably last a month.

The circuit board below the screen is completely exposed. The potting material they use is not watertight and has lots of air bubbles and voids in the potting. The water will leak in slowly. The remote will die after a month, or 6 months if you are super lucky. Maytech will offer you $20 off buying another remote. All they care about is selling more remotes when you complain.

Absolutely no warranty from Maytech. Terrible company. But, for now this is the best option for a efoil remote.

The waterproofing technique that works for me is outlined above. Pulling a vacuum on the remote submerged in CX is the single most important thing. All the air in the potting is sucked out and replaced with the CX. Then I add foam so it floats, then fill every void in the case with silicone grease. Oh, and two coats of Conformal coating on the screen circuit board, then packed in silicone grease. This has been working well so far.

It’s all detailed above.

Don’t buy a Maytech remote if you don’t wanna do these modifications because you’re just throwing your money away.

#maytechsucks

3 Likes

Ok, for me the potting doesnt look bad.
This was the reason why i asked.

Anyway
This is the eskate version. Looks like the efoil version.

Ok i will try to make it more waterproof.
Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Hi.

To me it’s not a matter of how it looks. It’s whether it’s waterproof or not.

Maybe you should just use it as is so you can let us know how long it lasts.

Then you can join the maytech sucks camp.

:rofl::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

You can see there is no potting on the screen. #failinoneminute

1 Like

I had emailed them after I just got one of the new version efoil ones about the oled… They said it has 2 waterproof coatings on it. Probably just some conformal. To me that is more of a splash coating then a submerged coating.

It’s not a good paste After little scratching all the pot is gone

Poor Switch solder

Better flex and sticky silicon maybe save thé maytech shit…

2 Likes

I joined the maytech sucks group. This remote is a piece of sh*t. It is not waterproof. And maytech didn’t do anything for customer, the only thing is this 20$ off from another piece of crap. If someone has an idee, where can I get a waterproof remote, please send the contact to me! Please!

3 Likes

I couple guys are designing DIY remotes that are truly waterproof. I’ve been watching the builds. Hopefully we’ll have something soon. :crossed_fingers:

@Vincentbraillard is building 10 pieces of a pretty sick waterproof remote! A lot of useful features and nice design! He might still have some left to pre-order!

2 Likes

If someone from the community help me out designing a good enclosure my firmware and electronics are ready

what do you say @pacificmeister one more round CAD design phase for the sake of community?

2 Likes

Question related to The screen.
Do i only put conformal coating on The electrical boards for The screen and The mainboard and then silicone grease between The screen and The glas and fill The space behind The screen and over The buttom with silicone grease?
I just received The new 2005 remote and need to waterproof it.
The new speed modes looks promising. :slight_smile:
It is sad that they Do not update The old 1905 with The different speed modes also.

Hi.

Is your remote potted? Or is the main board exposed?

Yes, Conformal coat the screen circuit board and solder connections. Then as you said, use the silicone grease between screen and screen cover and pack the voids all full of silicone grease. Did this answer your question?

After putting foam in the handle part to make it float, fill all the space with silicone grease.