Maytech remote issues

Hi guys.

I’m bummed they didn’t waterproof this circuit board with conformal coating before potting it. Maybe we should dig ours out of our brand new remotes and coat the boards then encapsulate them in epoxy!

It looks like the moisture is coming in from the plugs / wires. The potting material isn’t deep enough to completely cover these. I took mine apart and used several coats of conformal coating on the plugs, wires and everything that looked not completely encapsulated.

We’ll see how long it lasts…

Do we believe that the BOM for such simple pcb and oled is 60$ for real?
C’mon fellas! Do you know from where it comes?
Some things even if promising on paper deserves to be let alone.

Yes, I don’t believe that. :grin:

If their product is defective, you shouldn’t have to pay for a replacement!! They can’t call this a warranty!!

2 Likes

Just had a power switch failure myself. The new ones are coated and not potted which is nice to see. I’m not entirely sure about the quality of the switch and how it’s waterproofed. In any case, that component definitely failed, but at least we can repair things now. Anyone near Tampa have any 6x6x5 waterproof PCB momentary switches by any chance? Or know where I can grab one? Gonna have to “condom” it until I get it fully repaired. Which they’d waterproof the enclosure itself…might have a look at 3D printing something that is…winter project maybe…

@mkefoil Your Maytech remote isn’t potted? I have a version 2 and mine is potted. Can you take pictures of yours please.

Here is my version 2. Clearly the potting is inadequate to keep water out around the plugs / wires. I used conformal coating to try to make it a bit more waterproof.

should I put some corrosionX in mine so it stays waterproofed?? I’m running in salt water!

The problem is it’s not sealed. So the corrosion X will just leak out and make a mess.

But, coating with corrosionX would still help. However, I would say test it on the potting material first. I like to make sure of compatibility with soft rubber like this mystery soft crappy potting material they used.

I haven’t test mine yet. But, I will let you guys know when I do.

:call_me_hand:

Of course, happy to share a photo if it helps others. This is what mine looks like. Only potted around the trigger sensor. The rest has some sort of conformal coating for sure. Their marketing material say something about “2 coats” somewhere as I recall. But who knows which variant and amount used. Seems to work well on most of the PCB. Though on mine, the unused leads on the power switch were clearly not treated. They were rusted and one of them nearly dissolved. So that’s likely the cause of water ingress into the switch that caused the failure. Though I’m not entirely confident that these switches are the best solution and are truly waterproof to begin with. But at least this is repairable without having to destroy the circuit because of heavy potting material. Ignore the two wires…just workaround while I stuff it in a condom for a few rides so that my fun on vacation isn’t ruined :wink:

1 Like

Hi friend, my advice for less problems with this remote control, v1 and v2.
1- encapsulate the electronics with epoxy or sykaflex, I use an elastic plastic that covers the switch and sikaflex.

2- make a hole to remove excess water inside when you ride.

3- clean it with clear water after ride.
4- wait 5-6 hours before charging
5- place the remote on the table and the put the pad over the remote for charging.

6- always keep the remote control in this position, the electronics should face up
7- And I always stop charging around 75/80% , 3 lines.
I hope in the future a 100% waterproof remote from Maytech but while I try to prevent more problems with these steps.

Thanks @virus Unfortunately I’ve come up with a similar list of cautionary procedures as well, but your input helps to make sure we treat these remotes carefully. Especially since our safety can really rely on them. The only one I’m hesitant about is potting them with something so permanent. Being able to repair them is a huge asset rather than having to throw it in the garbage if anything else goes wrong.

This is absolutely ridiculous! Marketing a remote as waterproof and then leaving connectors open is obviously going to break it. Then maytech wants money when it needs to be replaced! They are truly a useless company!!!
A big thanks to the guys that opened the V2 remote! You have saved me using mine in salt water and breaking it! Time to wipp out the fiance’s nail polish and seal all the connectors as I don’t have plastisol or silicone at hand…

2 Likes

Put it in a condom and order this stuff. Do it right.

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

Agreed. Just got some of that in my christmas amazon delivery and will be doing a proper repair soon.

1 Like

I have just ordered the Maytech V2. If I open it now and brush it with the silicone, my guarantee is gone. But as Jezza said … real guarantee looks different …
So I open the remote and brush the silicone over all connections, plugs, contacts and circuit boards? If you see no problem there, I will do it. Perhaps this way can extend the lifespan.

Oh, the silicon costs 35,-€ for german guys . What do you think about normal silicon out of the tube?
It will cost about 3,.€

Silicone is quite generic. There are so many different flavors of it! Other than good for electronic coating you must chose one safer for polycarbonate, in case the display have a shield…
Still missing the point here, my fault for sure but what’s the joy in paying like gold a basic remote not even watertight, with funny warranty support, moreover that needs to be tampered right out of the box with some 35bucks juice that moves the overall price in the neighborhood of ridiculous?

1 Like

there are some nice feature in it, I hope it works with the vesc. Temperature, battery…
Not enough for this price, but so what. I payed 200,- and will try it…
But once more: Can I use normal silicon from construction industry?

https://www.amazon.de/Pattex-Haus-Silikon-transparent-PFHBT/dp/B0089XVXU6/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=bausilikon&qid=1577285401&s=diy&sr=1-4&th=1