Long-Shaft Neugart PLE40 Available - Eliminates Coupler!

The PLE uses NASHI 6901 deep grove bearings. I had a closer look a the specs on that bearing and the axial load rating relies on 2.5x radial load to achieve it. As we dont have a radial load the axial load rating doesnt apply.

Sorry for the question, but I am no mechanical engineer: Are you saying the bearing needs substantial radial load for being able to take the axial load stated in the specs? So the allowable axial load capacity is always a fraction of the radial load that is actually applied?

I’m curious and would like to see some video of your build and how I can obtain the parts if possible. For my foils I need only about 7mph and 12 tops unless I use my smaller wings which I’m open to speed but prefer torque for possible pulling another foiler.

Yep, spot on. This was explained in the NASHI technical literature relating to Deep Grove ball bearings. NASHI’s website was really helpful in helping to understand the finer points of bearing performance.

I think you’ll face the following issues if you try use the ple40 and no coupler:

• Sealing the shaft will be very hard with the keyway.
  • Too much load on bearings.
  • The internal thread may not be substantial enough to hold the prop.

Is it not possible to disassemble the PLE40 and change the shaft yourself?

Yes agreed on all points Jeeza. I still really like the idea of the custom ple40 from Neugart. Allows use of all existing PacificMeister printed parts while eliminating the two most difficult-to-make and fail-prone components (shaft extender and coupler). The only concern is the price. But if your coupler or seal fails just once that higher price quickly becomes a bargain.

You do realise that many that have made the PM build have had leaks through the seals. Even PM himself.
The Torqeedo gear removes the need for a coupler and shaft extender and hence eliminates your concerns.

Yes. My understanding is that the leaks were cause by slightly misaligned shafts due to the coupler. Any wobble causes the seals to unseat. A single shaft would eliminate that problem.

I do like the idea of the Torqeedo gear – so much that I have ordered one to check it out. But the PacificMeister build is well documented, all the CAD files are here online and many have already started down that road. So an easy improvement on that popular build (popular = lots of support) also makes sense.

I did custom long motor shaft for our direct drive units and it reduces parts, coupler and vibration which leads to leaks. Couplers are just another thing to break or come loose, if you can get away from them go for it!

1 Like

what company did you order it from?

Any number written in the bearing ?

I assume you are referring to the Torqeedo drive? I ordered it and the motor adapter directly from Torqeedo. I ordered the gearbox online but had to call them to order the motor attachment. As per above I’m told it does not mate to the SSS motors even with this attachment unless you machine the shaft down to 6mm so I’m not certain how it will all fit together.

Sorry, I’m not clear on what you are asking Alexandre. Which bearing?

the numbers written on the brown bearing seal

Ahhh… I have two PLE40s. One here on my desk says 6901NSE JAPAN NACHI
Very hard to read! What does that number tell you?

Does anyone know the outer diameter of the torqeedo gearbox?
I am wondering if it would be smaller or large in diameter then my sss 56114 motor which is 56mm in diameter?
Then I would need to figure out a way to attach it to my sss 56114 motor.

Thanks

JB

I just got one and will measure it tomorrow. Attaching it to your sss is a little complicated. You have to reduce the size of your shaft and then use a little spline attachment.

It’s 52mm diameter. This is what the spacer looks like: https://efoil.builders/uploads/default/original/2X/f/f181049bd6558af24421ede3432bcbce5f309a88.PNG
The 4 outer holes are M4 thread for gearbox. I made the spacer out of aluminium so that is could also act as a heatsink.

6901 is a code manufacturers use to identify the size of a bearing . 12x24x6mm in this case.

Size thrust and speed data
http://www.nachiamerica.com/download/75/Deep-Groove-Ball-Bearings/

Given for 20000rpm if i read correcly

So i guess it is ok but it can be change to a double angular bearing giving higher rpm and thrust limit … A better gearbox …