Jezza's Build (slow)

Thats a Max004 case https://www.trifibre.co.uk/product/max004/, but I am not using it anymore. If you wanted to use it you would need a special nickel (1 meter nickel battery soldering strip - 37.75mm*0.15mm for 18650 - Battery solder strip - Accupackaccessoires - Battery accessories | NKON) strip to maximise the cells 14S11P (12P will not fit once you have glues the cells)

I would suggest a custom made case with poly-carbonate or vacuum formed ABS.

1 Like

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12S-30A-lipo-lithium-Polymer-BMS-PCM-PCB-battery-protection-board-for-12-Packs-18650-Li/32900881588.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.36eb4c4djNx1b4

this has only 50mA balancing current. I think you should check for at least 200mA.

Quick question on the size of that battery box, and will it fit a 14s14p?
Also can you share a link to it?

I dont think it will fit a 14S14P, but it will fit 14S12P I think.
It is the max004 case. You can get it from quite a few different places.
I donā€™t use it for the battery though. My battery is open now inside a hatch.

1 Like

Im not sure I understand how you bypass your BMS ? how eactly is your 150A output fuse connected ? I have found it difficult to find a BMS that can take hign amp output draw. I think this could solve my problems

I only use the BMS to charge and balance the battery. During normal operation it is not attached.
The 150A fuse is the positive terminal of the battery.

I just answerred my own question;)

Hereā€™s a tip for anyone looking for a cheap balance charger + power supply :

• isdt lite 600w 6s balance charger (bought it before for 57eur)
  • DPS-750RB server power supply (you have to sodler a 1000ohm resistor on the back, liike this guy did in 10:15mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVeEtU_ZNWc

can you charge 6s with a 12v power supply?

No, you need at least 6 x 4,2V because that is the maximum voltage for a full charged 6s battery.

even with a balance charger rated for 6s supplied with a 12v PSU like the DPS-750?

If the balance charger has an 12V input, than it should work.

I found out that although the balance charger accepts voltages above 8v, you wonā€™t get the full amperage. The higher the input voltage the easier for the balance charger to have the full ampere available. Thatā€™s why I switched to a 24v power supply.

can you recommend one?

Most people mod two server power supplies.

This is my favorite one. It can supply 12v at 75a continuous. Iā€™ve done 75a for 4 hours no problem. Do the mod so you can hook two in series and you can do 24v / 75a.

:call_me_hand:

Depends on how fast you want/can charge.
I hooked up this one to 2 of my ISDTā€™s. I now charge my packs at 500w each, this is healtier for the batteries.

I found out this one was more quite as well, im happy with it, though I would have liked the oppertunity to charge both at 750 (1500w total). So maybe the option with linking two 12v supplies is cheaper and better.

Be carefull here guys, overcharging 18650 makes a nice fireballā€¦ And Iā€™m not making a joke here.

You need to consider the max voltage your batteries can be charged atā€¦ Also you shouldnt charge with more current then about half the capacity for long life of the batteriesā€¦ So 6s @ rated charging current of 4,2v per cell with lets say 3500 mah capacity = 25,2 volts 21Ah in totalā€¦ Pushing in no more then 10,5 Amps or about 250 wattsā€¦

I charge in parallel (2x6S, total 66Ah) with 1000watt, 30 amps. So each batt sees 15 amps which is .5 c charging rate.

An easy metrics I remember for li-Ion cells: charging 1 or 196 in a 14s14p battery should take at best 2 hours because of the charging capacity that should not exceed 0.5 C (half the nominal capacity). Iā€™m a bit scared that Waydoo announces 1h charge time for their nxt July production.

The game changer for rentals will be using small LTO cells that blossom on Aliexpress: same capacity as Li-Ion but a charging capacity that can reach 2C and 1 hour divided by 2C = 30 minute per charge for 1 to 196 cells. The unknown being the power of the power supply. If you multiply by 4 the charging rate, you multiply by 4 the charging amps and that can be high.

1 Like

I also charge at about 0.5C. I charge 35Ah 14s at 14A so it is even lower. For my work I use a lot of makita cordless tools. They use the same cells as we use (samsung cells). Most of these batteries charge in 30 minutes, so 2C. The charger is blowing air between the cells. Should it be possible to use a higher charge rate if we can cool are battery packs good enough?

I am using the makita double charger too, on 4 batteries 2 are dead after two years and approximately 20-30 cycles maxā€¦ the quick charge is a need when you need the job done but it kills the battery life

I did a Samsung 35e pack with 12s12p I choose to charge it at 0.25C and always leave 15-20% juice in the battery no problems so farā€¦