Ideal Motor / Propel system Quest

Yes, sorry… typing on a phone leads to brain farts, I can see I made the mistake earlier when I posted the graph as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

So I have a bit of a weird one where I have a log where I have seen a spike of over 500A and the controller hasn’t actually popped. It’s still perfectly fine:

The ARC200 does have current protection, but I would think I shouldn’t have seen this then.

What is the logging frequency (like for how long was the spike)? Little strange that there are 2 spikes.
But since the controller doesnt reset/fail afterwards, it could also be an import/transmission error.
Because e.g. the VESC has a fault stop time after seeing anything above the “abs overcurrent limit”. So the controller resets. It could also be a sensor outlier which has been filtered by a software lowpass.

Maybe you show the exact data points before and after the spike and also not only currents but also duty cycle, D-current, I-current, (e)rpm and the voltages.

If current and voltage go up at the same time, the measurement protocol is worth nothing.
Either one or the other :upside_down_face:

Greetings Frank

here is an example of how I “work” when I tune drives. the example is from flying, at e.foil I do the same with the difference that I also do a live monitoring that also shows me the phases of current peaks. logged in 60 hz (1 sec.) saved as CSV format. I marked the areas that make sense for e-foil in red. the temperature is the battery temperature. That is the reason why I have never burned a setup ":wink: I see all the data live during operation. So if I use a propeller that is too large, I can cancel it early. The selection of the propeller is so easy and shows me exactly the performance in the comparison of power consumption and achievable speed.This is how a performance diagram arises.I wanted to say if some think you have to explain to me how brushless systems work :slight_smile:

the efficiency is then shown in flight in grams of thrust per watt. at e-foil I do it in speed / watt.

of course you can also compare different wings and setups. e.g. 10 S setup with large propeller, 12 S setup with medium, highspeed 15 S with small racing propeller etc. because the speeds are logged it also shows how efficient eg. a setup is when starting off or in cruise mode or at top speed. these values are not easy to calculate, so i do live monitoring and take a look at my pc and know exactly what the truth is. then it is important to find a good compromise that makes foiling fun. do I want to top speed or a lot of thrust from below? everyone has different preferences. that’s why i milled 7 new proellers for myself at the weekend for easy changeover at the lake. I then give the propellers names like fun, eco cruise, topspeed, classic, beginner training, etc. changing the propeller is quick.

9 Likes

Got any pics or specs of the props? Are they on your facebook?

i will show pictures on facebook in april. i don’t sell the propellers. if someone is interested in getting the dxf for a cnc router, i can provide it with the respective performance characteristics. Maybe I’ll make a form of the best propeller and make a small series in carbon prepreg and carbon filler with cutted carbon parts in the resin. just take a look. when flying it works very well. a water propeller is a “child’s play” for comparing an air propeller. You do not need to consider strength or centrifugal forces. that’s why there are plastic water propellers on the market. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw7sZ72JQxY

4 Likes

When I was building drones years ago, I got an average of 5g/w. I was expecting a higher effiecientcy for bigger props like you use on your paramotor. The props that I used where 12-18inch in diameter. Drone weight range from 4-20kg.

Great work on the props, realy a master piece!

1 Like

so the maytech 65152 has two different shaft options depending if you go for 100KV or 120KV
would it be better to go for the splinded shaft version or with the screw shaft one?
KR and thx very much

Always the screw shaft 120kv

2 Likes

thx very much man really appreciate your input

Is the 120kV recommended for achieving top speed, compared to the 100kV, and which is going to work better for a lower speed tow boogie?
Funboards.at, have you offered a propellor for sale?