How Small Can You Go Board Challenge

For those that have been following, this may be obvious what the heading is about. For others it may be less obvious…

With all the debate around another certain board, I thought I would create a challenge to all those that think it will work. Build the smallest possible efoil board and try to efoil it!
There no guidelines here, just try do it… It doesn’t need to cost a lot, but I think it would be an interesting exercise. An easy starting point could be an old wakeboard or kiteboard with electronics box strapped between your feet. If that doesn’t work, add buoyancy until it does etc…

2 Likes

…ask Supernova :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Building 1360x500x100mm now. Approx 51 liters.

1 Like

Small by volume or gliding area?
I guess 0 L buoyancy board with 200cm x 100cm will start to glide/ managable to ride much more likely than a 100cm x 40cm board with 30L. (just because of the momentum/leverage from the motor)

1 Like

I’m talking small in both ways. How close to neutral volume and smallest surface area can you go…

To compare what is comparable, food for thoughts:

• every surface should count. For ex: if you use a surf dedicated XXL front wing (5 L 3200cm2), the board surface under your feet can be much smaller than sbdy using a 1.2L 1200cm2 front wing. We are riding biplanes, the top surface helping the bottom one to reach its flying speed …
  • every weight counts: rider and board. As already said, a small battery with smaller capacity will take the advantage if 6kg/12lbs lighter.
  • the board volume: should we limit the board thickness ?
  • the watts drawn during takeoff ? what if sbdy uses a Flying Rodeo with ESC Max_current = 250A

Maybe should we create a performance indicator like : total weight (kg) / total flying surface (m2).
A successful takeoff with minimum flight distance is required