Hi-amps quick electric connectors

Hello guys,

Has anyone of you ever seen those 300-500A fast connections before ?

From

these are probably very good, but also quite big and probably 200-400 dollars a piece or more:(

There are actually so many of those, I wonder why i’d bother welding the motor to the ESC…

Those below seem to be for electric cars :

To keep operators safe, the connectors integrate MX150 high-voltage interlock loop crimp terminals to eliminate arcing that can occur when disconnecting at high voltages and protective, insulated contact caps that meet touch-proof industry safety requirements. Molex Imperium HVHC uses highly conductive single piece contacts with very low contact resistance (which minimizes power loss), are IP6K9K when mated,

1 Like

Connectors that really can deliver what we need in terms of current and waterproofness are often - if not always - astronomically expensive. I don’t want to spend more on connectors than on a very good ESC.

Some prices here

1 Like

The amphenol surlock range are not too bad, but they are quite large.

I ended up design my own since I could not find something I like.

@MauiMan Can you please provide more information on your DIY plugs? What are you using to seal them? What tests have you done on them?

Hi Gregory

On the male side, I put grooves on each male side of the connector so you can put an o-ring so it would seal out water. The holes for the 8awg wires will fit exactly and I use silicone to seal the wires on the ends.

An option somewhere in between cheap connectors and expensive ones:

Castle Connections 8mm Bullet Connectors. These are very well made and are hard to separate due to the forceful interference fit of the sprung male connector. Tolerances are good , so you don’t have to try and make “good” pairs out of a larger set - unlike my cheap connector sets.

Rated at 300 A continuous. I have my doubts. I’ll end up testing these, measuring how much heat they give off and temperature they reach during a typical ride.

The Castle Connection 8mm are the first connector I have purchased that actually fits the 8 AWG wire. Others seem to be undersized. Likely a trivial difference but it made me mad.

Got them from Amazon. Sadly, comes in a set of 3 pairs only, for 15 bucks. I do think they are worth it , I’ve spent far more on cheap connectors that I will not use. I have a set going in the pod and near the ESC, so I can detach the mast, inspect & maintain the motor assembly etc.

The smaller connectors are the 5.5 mm version, rated at 170 A, to give a size reference.

Hope this helps someone who was stuck on this .

2 Likes

Do you know from experience if the Amphenol connectors have built in anti spark ability?

1 Like

Widely electrical vihicle connector here : www.cnconnectors.com

1 Like