Gyro balanced efoil

This comment also tells me that as a water-sports arena expert, you completely missed the teachings of kiteboarding which has taught us (2000-2001) that a medium-sized thin surface can do the job and lift you without volume. For example: thin 120cm twin-tip boards or the 2019 NOBILE Infinity Split Foilboard
The brand behind the Supernova model obviously wants to try this route for manoeuvrability, minimum swing weight, easy travelling, whatever. They have noticed that a kite or a motor can provide the instantaneous grunt to move you out of water quickly. Then in the air (99% of the time) it’s probably a pleasant sensation.
Are they right, are they wrong ? One thing is sure, it is not a classical Alibaba 3D rendering account.

I don’t mind Isabelle’s discretion before the announced product release date (competition matter). I will start to be worried if there is no website passed this date.

1 Like

No, I missed nothing. You simply cannot compare kitesurfing to efoiling. With a kite you have huge amounts of vertical lift with zero forward motion required. This means you can use zero volume boards, super unstable foils and even barefoot waterski with a kite.
With efoil on the other hand you have to have a good deal of forward movement before you can achieve any vertical lift. Therefore no volume boards can’t be used. You need enough volume to have a small portion of the board out of the water.
If you don’t believe me, take the Nobile split and attach efoil gear to it…

Supernova is simply trying to create a marketing campaign to stop users buying other products before they release theirs. The problem is they are making outrageous and false claims to do it. The most obvious is the battery. They claim their 50V 40Ah LTO battery weighs 6.5kg and is 60% lighter than other efoil batteries: LTO batteries are much heavier than Li-ion for the same energy density, so it’s impossible. Then they are using a completely different board in all their promo video’s (A standard DIY style efoil). This is also a MASSIVE risk for anyone that falls into buying the product as the “newly” released board will never have been tested.
At least all the other efoil brands had video’s of their actual products (Lift, Fliteboard, Takuma, Pwrfoil, the list goes on).
I’m afraid this company seems exactly like a “classical Alibaba 3D rendering account”. You’ll purchase what you think is an A-list product, but in reality you’ll get a Z-list product…

And they are French ! What a shame ( I hope I will be wrong…) , it is not really difficult to make a Efoil , but going into mass production , you need a lot of money , so if you have the money at start and willing to loose it you might end up with something nice …

battery nothing new and yes claims…
Low volume board not a problem if there is power and I don’t how we will stand on this board , the only thing I want for a board is to be completely flat on top

I am interested to see what will come up next year

What boggles me is how can pitched be measured when the gyro is in the remote ?
If you have an IMU on the board which measures pitch I guess it is possible to control the pitch by motor RPM but how can a hand held remote measure the pitch of the board.

Also, from wikipedia:
Lion batteries: 100 - 265 Wh/kg. Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia
LTO batteries: 60 - 110 Wh/kg. Lithium-titanate battery - Wikipedia

So seems to me LTO are twice as heavy as Lion ???

this is in wh/kg 265wh/kg for lithium po and 110wh/kg for lto clearly lipo is 2x much capacity than lto for same weigt
:sunglasses:

It just keeps getting funnier! Supernova have now made claims they can produce 700 boards per month. I know for a FACT there are no factories in France that can do that! Anyone that puts money down on this will get a piece of foam delivered from China…

700 boards per month ?
Can Lift even sell that much per moth ? It seems unrealistic. A startup shouldn’t be able to produce more than 100 boards per year lol.

No ways. I don’t even think the combined manufacturers are selling 100 a month.
You’d need an incredibly capable factory to even do 30 boards a month. A startup might be able to do 10 boards a month.

That’s exactly what I said :smile:

100 -120 boards per year = 10 boards per month which seems realistic. I think even FR is producing something like 2-5 boards per month.

Who should buy the boards alke :joy:
Beste regards Frank

Great news guys, we are going to be be able to touch/feel/open the product and tell them all the good things we think about it and talk about the physical laws they cannot violate in 4 days time at the Paris boat show (7th-15th December). It might be a fake news though.
A stand there starts at 5000 EUR per week so I hope they know what they are doing. :roll_eyes:
They might also unveil the brand name behind the Supernova eFoil R&D obviously a world actor with such a production capacity (China ?). In the meantime, you can try to guess who they are in the exhibitors’ list. I gave up as the information is too scarce:
https://www.salonnautiqueparis.com/en/visit/infos-catalogue

The GBS seems to be a wireless joystick with a gyro inside that acts on the two ailerons of the front wing like a RC model plane. My guess is that they fitted servos in an enlarged fuselage.

I think I have found the company behind the Supernova efoil:
1 - A French company specialized in outdoor equipments with a strong image of innovation
2 - Leader on their market
3 - Praised R&D lab, numerous patents
4 - International reseller network and a world cup since 2012
5- One of their 2014 patents presented on this forum with an application in efoils
6- Last August (2019) a disruptive product made the show for a couple of days on all TVs and news channels of the planet…
7- Only one product on their catalog sold in 3.000 copies so far plus a proof of concept.

Finally, it cannot not be them !
They are… they are …:wink:

No large company would use a random human being to spam their marketing all over Facebook making false claims. They would have a solid targeted approach much like takuma did. There’s also the fact that the supernova website is registered to Isabelle (the person that has been spamming Facebook) and not a company. No large company would do something that stupid!

Curious world!!wayt and see…:thinking:

I do agree but if we suppose they found the battery holly grail, I think the company has the ability to take the sport to a whole new level… they have a gigantic partner (a famous energy drink with 2 fighting bulls) and they intend to organise a Supernova world championship during the summer 2020 on the French riviera :crazy_face:

The more I hear about this company the more dillusional they sound!! When a startup is already planning to organize a world championship competition before even having a solid prototype, something isn’t right lol. Will they even have 2 working efoils by then?:joy::joy:

what is the name of the company?

1 Like

Firstly the battery tech they claim they using is worse than li-ion. That’s proven worldwide already. Why’s this hard to understand?
Secondly, why would red bull partner with a company that doesn’t even have a working prototype yet? If anything they would partner with fliteboard, lift or flying rodeo. Considering a lot of the red bull riders already ride lift foils, that would be the most likely.
Supernova can have a thousand dreams, but based on the evidence the main dream they seem to have is steal people’s money…

It always surprises me how many people line up with money in their hands for start-ups, kick starters, things like that.

In situations like this where the product specifications they are pitching are nothing like the prototype, almost 100% if the time the companies fail to deliver. A lot of people a left a pissed off what they got was inferior to what was promised, and this if they get anything at all.

A lot of companies do this. Look at Tesla’s Cyber Truck! :rofl:

I was thinking there is some relationship to Decathlon (decathlon.com). I thought they might sell the product in Decathlon stores under one of the Decathlon water sports brands like ORAO. But it is also hard to understand why such a reputable company would be part of such a funny unreliable campaign.