Get Foil claimed to be made in USA

For sure. Referral program should be up in a few weeks. If you follow us on Instagram or Facebook we’ll post updates about that as well as videos and photos to keep you up to date.

It’s very funny how much attention these get isn’t it? The reaction we typically get is “Oh, that’s cheaper than my JetSki.” Or they want a complete breakdown of how it works… speed, battery, controller etc. Super fun talking to people about something completely new.

Haha yeah I would’ve preferred a smaller audience for my first time riding one but I’m glad so many people are interested. Felt kinda bad having to shatter their dreams with that $12k price tag though, so I’m really glad you guys are bringing something way more reasonably priced to the market – hope everything works out.

I have one of the cheapest jet skis (SeaDoo Spark) and it’s definitely more than $7k once you add the most basic options + cover + dealer fees + delivery, etc. Then you have to pay for gas, maintenance, storage/winterization. If you take all those things into account even the Performance model is significantly cheaper. Plus you can get 2 of the Extended model for the price of 1 Lift, which is great because I think a lot of people would actually be willing to sink $12k into the sport if they didn’t have to ride alone.

4 questions then :
1 - Your ESC: is it VESC compatible ? Available on the shelf ?
2 - Is it possible to get some wireless telemetry ?
3- Your clever RX module that allows to perform such an easy remote attachment: where is it located ? I would say inside the main battery pack with its antenna… The RX module there can collect the voltage of the main battery (board battery) and sends it uplink to the remote (remote display)
4 - How many cables pulled in the mast ? I would say only two 10AWG (battery in board to ESC in pod) plus a thin bundle of two 16AWG for THR/PWM signal and ground (5V coming from an UBEC in battery case ) ?

-> in the mast 2 rather thin battery wires only instead of 3 thick 8AWG motor wires capable of handling higher peak currents (+1 optional PU tube for cooling) allows new possibilities towards thinner masts so higher speeds …

Lot’s of questions and I can only answer a few. Mostly because I’m not a hardware or electrical engineer.

1. No idea. Custom built by our engineers.
  2. No idea. If you mean GPS, yes, the controller has it. Gives speed redoubts.
  3. All electronics other than the ESC are in the battery. We have more than just a RX module. We have a processor in the battery that’s running control and safety schemes. Our controller has interfaces with full color display – not just numbers on a calculator screen. It’s like comparing an iPhone (us) to a Nokia from 1999 (everyone else). Im not being hyperbolic either.
  4. No idea. A few.

Yes. No pumps. All cooling is done in the water. High reliability and much less expensive to produce. Now you are seeing how we are able to produce these at a price half of others. 100 other decisions like that were made. Everything with the end goal of reducing complexity and decreasing cost.

2 Likes

About those patents… Yea those are garbage. They aren’t even selling what they have a patent for. Just a scare tactic.

2 Likes

Would you mind asking to your electrical engineers … :wink:
Q2: Telemetry is a set a data (tension, current, power, position, …) that are recorded along the ride to be analysed offline on your computer (see EagleTree data logger or slowly move your mouse on metr.at frame below. It is VESC (Q1) that makes all this possible :upside_down_face:)

Too bad we have to wait 9 months to experience this new thrill…:roll_eyes:

There are Americans on this forum? I :rofl::rofl::disappointed_relieved::sob:

The first patent (US9359044B2) looks like it covers a standard eFoil, but I don’t know much about patents so I could be overlooking some part that limits the scope of it.

That prop and duck looks familiar :stuck_out_tongue: where did you get it?

4 Likes

Some answers already on pics on the website , this pod looks very well made and clever , I don’t solder this way the plugs… but all of this is very interesting, and I hope it will work out :clap:

I’m glad to see other people who thought to put the motor controller in the pod. If you put the motor controller underwater, BMS, Rx and any other smarts can all live in the battery above the water. Minimize number of boards, keep costs down.

Congratulations on finding funding so you can work on something cool. :grimacing: so. happy. for. you. :sob::sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

I like that the efoil is being made in the USA and is priced at a reasonable cost. I like the design of the board and since I come from the surfing world and making my own surfboard since way back when, the design of this board gives it a early lift as the e-motor pulls you along, the sides/rails looks like it gives you a faster release from any suction from the surface water making the board rise faster. Hope to see this board next year 2020. The only problem I have with e-foil in Calif it looks like it has to be registered with our DMV as a motor vehicle and subject to yearly registration and hull number ID on the e-foil.

I can’t comment on that but to me, it looks like, to cut costs down, it is the first board entirely hot-wire shaped.

The thought of hot wiring this shape makes me cringe. It’s way too complex for that.

These particular units were CNC’d and finished entirely by hand. Production units are molded and then finished by hand.

It was supposed to be a compliment for a team able to think outside the box. It is amazing how precise and complex the CNCed hot cuts can be nowadays, especially if the foam block lays on a rotating plate. Of course, with the battery box, it is more complex.

Oh well thank you. Yes the hot cut CNC machines are extremely precise but the cavity would pose some problems and additional operations. Ours is just a typical surfboard CNC machine. We’re selling one if anyone is interested. :slight_smile:

The savings will come in the molding operation.

Or by the production of (hot-cut) small and simple pieces to be assembled in complex shapes as did Henry Ford a long time ago. :wink:

Did anyone preorder one of these?

All of their social media accounts have been silent for months now.

Looks like they are live again, taking preorder deposits for March 2021 delivery - seems ambitious at $4-$7k USD with a carbon mast and “assembled in the US” but I wish them luck and as a recent Waydoo owner will be watching them closely

https://www.getfoil.com/order-v2/

Website indicates they’re now shipping. They were out doing demos in March according to this website snapshot The World's Most Advanced eFoil | Foil. Has anyone tried? Worth risking being a beta tester - I’m in San Francisco so a long way to ship parts if there is a failure.