Fusion 360 help thread

The endless cycle of something breaking/not fitting, ordering, waiting, then modd’ing the design to fit the different component is getting me down!

I’m hoping for some help with fusion 360 as I’m a total self taught newbie.

Due to my 8-10mm gearbox coupler slipping and braking, I wanted to increase the strength of this component, I’ve found a higher torque 8mm to 10mm coupler which arrived. However due to its size (25mm D x 30mm L) it won’t fit in the current seal housing.

What I’d like to do is increase the length of the large internal area of the seal mount housing to a length of ~85mm from the 60.7mm it current is in that axis.

In terms of not messing with the design, I’d like to extend the marked flat section (that’s about 6mm long) that lies flush with the aluminium tubing marked here.

What’s the easiest way to do this? I’ve tried pushing/pulling various surfaces/but it messes with the relationship between each other facet of the component.

Any help gratefully appreaciated!

Hi,

what coupler do you use, would you mind sharing a link? I’d love to hear about your experience with the couplers you used, more data is always better :slight_smile: .
Anyway, I’m myself a newcomer to Fusion 360, some things apparently are a little different to the CAD systems I’m used to. So the following way might not be the most efficient option. I think this is what you want to accomplish:
sealmountcustom

In the CAD Programs I’m used to I would just edit the sketches for the given Part and thus update the desired dimensions. Apperently this is not possible with the V2 Fusion 360 Archive from Pacificmeister’s Build Thread. The farthest I can roll back changes and see data is his V1 to V2 changes. Here is my experiment, you can download the Fusion File and roll back my changes (model view, bottom of screen with edit history symbols).
As a newcomer I made a split through the face of the section your marked. Then I made an axis in model view through the center of the seal mount. I moved the back body along this axis by the desired amount (calculation is in the input field). Then I made a new sketch on this moved body and just projected the face on my sketch. I extruded this sketch to the next face on the second body from the previous split (from the moved body with the sketch to the body which has not been moved at all). As we just want to extend this without changing the crossection this is almost it. I just combined all bodies with Modify/Combine again. That got me the result above.
Good luck with your build.

1 Like

Flo, I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to answer and model my request for help. Thank you. I wasn’t aware that you could slice along that axis, then recombine. You don’t know what you don’t you!

I’m using the coupler here from Amazon I’ve read that it’s capable of dealing with higher torque then the standard coupler listed on the parts page (which I had issues with). I’ll finish the build and report back

Thanks once again.

1 Like

hi the foilers
I want to draw my front wing foil on Fusion 360, but I do not know how, someone could help me, thank you again
Philippe

I think in this post from the topic DIY Composite Wings - #13 by charlieuk - Foils & Boards - FOIL.zone you will find a very precise explenation of modeling a foil with Fusion 360 CAD.
Edit: The link seems dead, but the blog post has only moved on his site: greypaddleboards.com - This website is for sale! - greypaddleboards Resources and Information.

2 Likes

merci Flo pour ce message !

oups ! Thank you Flo for this message!

No worries, you are welcome, I can read some french.

Can any1 help maybe?
Mat gave me a great idea on strenthening 3D printed foil right here:

I am strugling with this grooves (holes are easy). Any idea how to do it along the surface or a face? is there a trick? Most of things i found is in sculpting mode which isnt very usefull here :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: if the wing was flat, i would get along but this damn 3D shape…

step 1: Make a plane perpendicular to the " symmetry" axis. or more exactly make 2 or 3 space where you what your grooves
Then draw the intersection between those planes and the wing.
That will give you a few path for your grooves to follow.

step 2: Draw the section of your grooves on the symmetry plane.

step 3: And finally extrude (subtract) your sections along their respective path.

step 4: it will most likely not work well at the first try, so play with you step1-plane placement, and you step2-grooves depth until you get something you like.

For the holes going through , i just projected the grooves sides on a plane below the wing, kept only pieces of them and extruded (subtract) through everything.

good luck!

This is exactly what i am trying to do but i am missing something. Thx!
It would be so easy just to move, offset and substract already intersected LE and TE but for some reason they are locked and u cant do anything with them according to autodesk forums.
I am totally fine with just eyeballing the holes, i just realised how good support it actually is when epoxy steps in between.

EDIT:
I managed to do it your wayand even found a bit “precise” way, splitting body with sketch and then just substract. Unfortunately, wing is 2 thin (20mm thickest). Ill bump up the layers, put few holes and pray. Thx again for help!