French build born in [LYON]

Check out Himax CR6320-240
Diameter 63mm
85A x 2
3600W
240KV
$499.99

But strangely enough, only 430oz of thrust

hello every one, after 3 month of no use … just plug it again and its work perfectly.

for information i met cops on boat.
They were really interested by this concept. they take a lot of pictures.
they said : " we dont dont what is law for this kind of board so we will not ask you anything "

hope it will stay like that a long time. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

In many European countries, you don’t need a licence below 6HP or 4500W.
Did they ask you your electrical power ? Did you give them your address :policeman:?

In Croatia, u can use 1.5HP and under 299 cm length. Anything over = licence and registration. However, we are so screwed we got different laws depending on the region of the country. :anchor:

Gobbla, we are building a similar very short / very thick board.

How wide is yours, and how do you start when the engine is still off ? Are you able to climb on it from being fully in the water ? Or do you start from a platform or pulled by a motor boat ?

Thank you

philgib, my board is 1800 x 610 x 140 mm
almost 110L
i start on my knees, i can sit on it :

it’ s really convenient when water is cold or if you want to take rest out of water.
only problem is when there is waves , it take more time to get enough speed.

3 Likes

soefoil , they did not ask me any thing on power. Same in france 6HP. but i have boat license. i m more affraid about insurance.

@Gobbla, IMHO, not sure at all but seems to make sense, the 4500W limit makes it all good or all wrong:

• If you say 6000W to the police you are fined and not covered by your insurance in case of accident because you are ignoring the law.
  • If you say 4400W to the police you are OK and covered in case of accident with the civil liability contained in your home insurance because you didn’t need a licence.

About your board:
1-110l and it floats : did the following relationship work OK for you ?
Board volume (L) = rider weight (kg) + equipment weight (kg) + 30
2- I am intrigued by your bevel on the rear of your board like on 2019 commercial foil boards. Did you notice any positive effect on take off or touch downs ? You have modified this principle by adding a plastic sheet + big black shims. Any reason ?
jp-SUP-detail-foil2019

1 Like

@Gobbla Where did you buy your waterproof connectors? Could you put a link up? Thank you!

guldsteen

1 Like

this is my load list :
pilote + suit : 75Kg
board mistral re cut : 14.4Kg
motor + reducer + pipe + fixation : 4.3kg
case + ESC : 4.8kg
batteries : 4kg
foil gong : 5.2kg
fixation of foil : 1kg
total : 109kg

no 30kg margin but seems working, weight are measured with scale
mybe board volume is more ?

for point 2, this bevel was a mistake , i was expecting some short take off.
But result is opposite. Due to short lenght of board nose of board was getting up . it was difficult to take speed. i add this plastic sheet to compensate this bad cut. now it’s working fine

1 Like

@guldsteen

i did not buy it. it is standard connector in 3D printed housing :
this is my actual one :

inside there is XT150 connector.

in my next build i will use this one :

i m now using XT90 connector. i m printing it with multiple color do not not mix wire.

6 Likes

@Gobbla
Awesome! You got really Nice engineering skills. Would you mind sharing 3D files for the new connector? Thank you so much for your reply.

This is 3d model :

on XT90 you should print it without support , one ring is already in model to make better gasket groove. after printing you can easyly remove it with small screw driver.

hope it will be usefull for you :wink:

6 Likes

Thank you very much @Gobbla! Regarding the XT90, and suppose that you are using AWG10 cables. Is that enough for our power hungry efoils? A friend of mine, who is electrical engineer says that I should minimum use AWG 8 cables, because of the lenght of the cables, and therefore XT150 connectors.

What is your experience with this?

hi , i m actually using 8mm² cable similar to AWG8,
no problem with it , stay cold.
i will use 6mm² cable similar to AWG9 ?
i m betwenn 20 to 30A during flying, 40 A during take off, shortly.

3 Likes

hello, update of the day : GPS speedometer :

standard GPS speedometer :
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Aliexpress-Cheapest-GPS-Speedometer-Hud-Display-Car-KM-h-MPH-C60-Car-Electronics-Better-Than-A100/32915019051.html?spm=a2g0w.10010108.1000016.1.2103638bbgWDd3&isOrigTitle=true

accuracy seems ok :

now just need water proof housing :

here is 3D files :

water proof test done succesfully, real test in condition not done yet.

3 Likes

Nice simple waterproof case! Are you using a oring to seal?

Also what have you used for the clear display window and how have you waterproofed it in place?

@g.gregory8 yes oring seal is possible, in my case i use silicone bed ( cheap )

for clear display it is polycarbonate sheet stick with same silicone (bathroom silicone)

rainy week end ==> update of trailer

ready for next holiday with all spare parts and tools.

2 Likes

Can you explain to me what the large cavity is for on the RHS ?