Flightjunkie's first e-foil build

Hi.

Blade efficiency is very important in a propeller. It’s a spinning wing that needs to generate lift. A paper airplane will fly with it’s flat wings, but you don’t see large planes with flat wings for the same reason.

And strength is another factor. If you made the whole blade as thin as the leading edge needs to be, the blade would bend or break under load. The root of the blade needs to be thicker.

:call_me_hand:

You think melting threaded inserts would work? I’ve done this with PLA (like my nose cone) but I wonder if it’ll work on this injection molded plastic? If so, that would give you threads you could seal the bottom of as well. What do you think? Crazy idea or nah?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MWBJB67/

Try it and let us know! Not much to lose. If it doesn’t work you can just drill it out and fill it with structural epoxy and drill and tap it.

Haha, good point!!!

Hi,

Would you share your cable specs between battery case and charger ? I know you are using 7 or 8 pins cables but I wonder which type suited for you. I will go with 15 pins for my pack.

Thanks !

Hi.

I have tried a few different types. The ones I’m using now I am very impressed with. I add an o-ring, and fill them with silicone grease. I purchase them on AliExpress and with DHL shipping I get them in one week and it’s about $25 for two including the shipping.

Make sure to ask them to include the screw type covers. The rubber covers are not a good seal.

US $5.51 20%OFF | WS16 Series 9-pin Aviation Waterproof Connectors LED Power Cable Connector Male Plug Female Socket Rated Current 5A IP67
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqKZNZ9

I saw similar connectors in BMS for ebike. You are using ones as balance cable connector or for other purposes?

Thanks ! I’ve been ogling on Lift’s connector which I am about to buy too :rofl: :joy:

Same one with 15 pins to balance charge with external BMS.

My question was more about the cable between this connector and the charger. I’ll be using a 15 or 16 x 22 AWG cables but seems pretty hard to find with silicon jacket. Which one did you use ?

Hi.

Yes. Balance wires for charging, and they also serve as connectors for the voltage alarms while riding.

1 Like

Hi.

I haven’t seen 15 or 16 conductor wire. Sorry.

I used 9 conductor wire and just pulled one wire out because I only needed 8. You could use this and just run two cables to get the 15, or 16 conductors you need. But, it’s not silicon covered.

Screen shot:

Link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283609783039

Picture of this wire used in my build:

4 Likes

Thank you very much :pray:t2:. It still helped me !

I’ll look after a 16 x 22 awg cable and if I don’t find will go your route. If I succeed in my quest I will share the cable here too.

1 Like

Hi guys.

Got a efoil surf session in this weekend. 5-7’ surf on the outer break…waves were traveling at about 22 mph. I couldn’t quite keep up with my infinity 84 foil. Next time the surf is big I’ll use the 76, or 65 wing. But, the small inside break was fun.

:desert_island::surfing_man::sunglasses::call_me_hand:

13 Likes

i like the gun case covers!

flightjunkie,
Thanks for this fantastic thread. So much good information and photographs. Good to see how much fun you are having. I have a few different wings, slingshot, lift and gong. earlier you said that you didn’t like the space skate. With a kite I found that I could make super sharp banked turns with that wing. Love the 84. I weigh 225 and have a lift 200 and 250, with the smaller stabilizer I can also turn much sharper.
Thanks again and happy foiling

1 Like

Hi.

Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad my build thread helped you out.

I only weigh 155lbs. This might be why I didn’t like the space skate. Way too much lift, and because of that it has too much drag and was pretty slow.

I’ve been meaning to try it on my efoil board, but I love my infinity wings so much (65, 76, 84) I haven’t bothered.

1 Like

Nice video. I imagine that you are just surf foiling when you drop the remote. I notice that your stance is very wide. That seems to work well for carving in both directions. Which remote did you use?

Flightjunkie, Post a video of you with the onewheel and gear headed to the beach. That sounds awesome. I have a one wheel but thought I would use a hand cart with big balloon beach wheels.

1 Like

May i ask the dimension (height) of your battery pack?
Is it 5mm plexi youre using?
Kr and thx very much!!!

1/2" acrylic for sides
3" tall x 14" long
3" tall x 13" long

1/8" acrylic bottom
15" x 13"

.093in Lexan top (do not glue, attached with 1/2" 3M VHB tape)
15" x 13"

Glue
Weld on 4 thin chemical bond
Weld on 16 tube thick glue type secondary seal on inside of seams

See battery build:

1 Like

Hi guys.

Got some stormy wind swell today. Took the e-foil out for a solo mission!

Keep flying my friends!

:desert_island::ocean::surfing_man::call_me_hand:

6 Likes