Flightjunkie's first e-foil build

I’ll post some pics. The mast goes into the wing fuselage. The slingshot mast is a tight fit width wise. But, a bit short front to rear. Screw holes are slightly off too. Just fill with epoxy and cut fiber.

:call_me_hand:

I’ll have to check how it would fit on a liquid force mast! I’m looking to get a lift wingset but man they are pricey… Do any of you know lift wingset knockoff beside this one?

Hello fellow DIY e-foilers.

I’m still making progress.

I have leak tested my the carbon fiber box which will go in the board, and I leak tested the hatch. I expect the hatch to leak a bit when weight is applied and removed, but we will find this out when I do a functional test.

I haven’t shaped my board yet so I borrowed a SUP foil board from a friend. The plan is to strap this box to the foward deck pad area and duct tape the wires and see if this thing will fly!

A test will help me determine the balance of the board and verify that my planned location of the battery is where it needs to be.

Stay tuned for updates!

:desert_island::surfing_man::call_me_hand::beers:

1 Like

Here are the 3 foils I have.

I think the middle one is gonna be the winner. I took it out kite surfing and it foils at less then 7 mph and I had it up over 22 mph. And the wind was pretty light. I think it will do at least 25 mph. Not a bad range of speed!

1 Like

This was posted in the 65150 thread. Sorry if you’ve seen it already. Trying to keep my build Thread updated. :call_me_hand:

The duct tape and ratchet strap test was a success! Now I need to shape me a board. :sunglasses::metal:

Flipsky 65161 120kv motor, FR prop, Flier 400A red boat ESC with “BUartLowKV” firmware, battery 14s14p. And water cooling. Slingshot infinity 76 wing. Maytech V2 remote with conformal coating and corrosionx modification to make it a bit more waterproof.

70% throttle was more then enough. I didn’t need to use much more then that but I did some full throttle runs to test everything. Rode for about an hour. Battery cell voltage was still at 3.5v (pack started at 4.15v).

4 Likes

Recharged battery to the same 4.15v.

It took 25.7 A/hrs to recharge. So the battery was roughly 60% discharged. That’s pretty good for the roughly hour long test ride. :desert_island::surfing_man::beers:

And remember! Safety first when recharging batteries!!! :rofl::call_me_hand::beers:

10 Likes

:joy:good idea can’t lie.

Oh and where did you get that prop from for the flipsky motor?

@Felixfoiler The person who can reding have a big advantage :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Hey Everyone!!! I’m one of FlightJunkies build partners. Here is are Prototype Board. Shaped at 5’-4” x 29” x 5 1/4”.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Nice board, could you use metric numbers please :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea. Yea…thanks for making fun of us Americans and our inferior measuring system! :rofl:

@Rienk This should help! :beers::call_me_hand:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=5'+4"+in+cm

1 Like

Thank you :rofl: I realy like the shape of your board!

2 Likes

how many amp you used in this ride for foiling? 30 amp?

Where did you get the hatch?

Hi flighjunky

Nice
Build

I’m facing issue with my box, always some
Water inside. Not a big deal because every things is under other smaller boxes however I’m thinking to move to an other approach using similar boat door as your.

Can you tell me dimension of your white box/price

I was thinking about a box around 36/60cm for all my gears.

Second point my apm engine did not resist to the water proof so I’m thinking to pick up a flipsky, i
Guess I have the same flier esc400 amp aluminum waterproof box. Did you face any issue between esc and the flier ESC?

Keep in touch
Benjamin.R

Question: on the bud industries waterproof box: can you share the penetrators you are using?

Second question: on the motor, are you using the yamaha shaft style with the shear pin or the threaded style?

Third question: did you happen to look inside the motor? Is it good quality? Does it have proper bearings and seals? What kind of bearings?

I’ve only done a few test rides. Have not recorded data yet.

Other have with this motor. Amp draw depends on a lot of factors. The higher your voltage the less your amps. With 14s battery I expect 20-40 amps while on foil and a max amp draw of around 150amps under load.

I will post data when I get my board together and up and running.

I got the hatch from the marine supply store. Out here the store is West Marine.

It’s a boat deck hatch. Should be easy to find.

Turns out I just used this hatch and waterproof box for testing. My board build I plan to make it like the Lift board.

See my reply above about the hatch.

As far as the flier 400amp ESC and 65161 motor…search my posts, and YouTube videos. All the information is on this forum. It works now with the “B uart low kv motor” firmware. But, I would suggest a different ESC if you haven’t bought the flier yet.