Finding permanent waterproofing solution for 30$ "waterproof" remote

Original one on the left , added silicone , new one one the right , coating and silicone

1 Like

Will see tomorrow :

Fresh or saltwater?
Switched on?

fresh water
yes switch on (red light on) , left it for 1H, still working
now still in the water switch off, planning to leave in the water until this evening

so 8h in the fresh water, 1h30 with power ON , still working

now it is charging
 solid red on the right led

the induction plate gets warm when charging (same has before the water test) , i didn’t put any coating on the copper wires but i might do that has well since the Electrolube FSC doesn’t affect the cooper, i don’t know about the other coating 

1 Like

Hi Alexandre, how much volume (ml) does the FSC bottle contain? I thinking to follow your steps of waterproofing and looking for a suitable bottle. CHeers

Which parts did you protect now with silicone? Only the battery or also the pcb?

15ml for the FSC way enough , ordered on ebay uk

1 Like

i coated with FSC, the all board both side (under the foam as well) and the lipo bms and terminals
i silicone the lipo terminals and its solders as well on the board

For my understanding, did you coat the failsafe adjustment screw as well? If so I guess you made all the necessary adjustments before the coating?

yes coated everything, adjustment are made on my vesc software, i didn’t try to turn the screw to see what it was doing but i guess for those who doesn’t use vesc it is a good idea to check if everything runs nice before
the coating is thick i think it will stay outside and the screw can be turn after if necessary

Okay, thanks for the feedback. i do not run VESC so would double check it all ahead of time

Hello Yargaroo, is the launch still maintained around Christmas 2019 ?

This is the receivers signal : Cloud
This remote is brand new, it never saw any water, unused.
I suppose that all my radio remote controls of this type have this error, altogether 4 different ones have shown this problem sooner or later, with different throttle positions. To find the fault you have to drive very slowly through the throttle range and watch the signal on the oscilloscope. The range where it happens is very small with this specific new remote.
But I also had the pleasure of this error on the water, which often led to completely unmotivated falls. Probably in one case it led to permanent full throttle. Also switching off the transmitter in this case did not lead to a throttle release of the VESC, although it was correctly programmed with 0.5 seconds timeout. In this case only switching off by the battery master switch helped. The malfunction is well reproducible once found. The used oscilloscope is a DS203, if anyone is interested. So i think there is a systematic bug in the HW or SW on the reveivers side.

Here are the datasheet for the chips used in W4R V2.1 receiver:
http://files.banggood.com/A7105%20Datasheet%20v1.4.pdf
http://www.stcmicro.com/datasheet/STC15F2K60S2-en.pdf

4 Likes

Don’t understand all of this , but yes when running signal through vesctool I saw that it was not very » clean »
So that means we should not use this remote ?

You should set both the failsafe on the remote/receiver itself and the ESC. It sounds like receiver failsafe never activated which would then continue to send a signal to the VESC. If this happens, regardless of how the vesc is set, it won’t throttle down.
I have used that remote on an electric skateboard and they can be pretty volatile signal wise. Definitely not great!

I have used this remote last summer and also saw som fluctuations in the throttle signal. Last week I was testing and 2 of 3 remotes (1 unused) didn’t work anymore. Found out that the signal was stil changing when I turned the pod on the remote pcb. So the receiver was working correct and I was thinking about a faulty hall sensor. I resoldered the hall sensor to see if that would make any difference and after that it was working again.

I think that the fluctuations in the signal can come from a bad connection of the hall sensor or the sensor is not acurate enough. I also saw some rust from the throttle spring on my hall sensor, this could also lead to magnetic distortion I think.

Stupid question. It is possible to do that on such cheap Receivers?

Yeah, they all have that functionality

Okay so i hope that my batteries arrives soon and I can start to configure all that!