FAULT_DRV Trampa VESC6 MK4

1mohm on 26.8 cold? that is not much (?)

this error must be really annoying at full speed for not saying dangerous

Do you have a 100kv Flipsky and it’s FOC detection values or anybody else?

Edit:

my values:

foc_superlefax

@Ackermann values: (Flipsky 100kv, Flipsky 200A VESC, no issues)

foc_jan

no it is yours, the one you posted on the top on the link, i don’t have the numbers for the 100kv in my head

you may do a “thurst” test and let the motor heat up and run detection again

1 Like

@Trampa
Did you have a look at the triggered faults?
I looked at the code and the registers of the DRV and was wondering why every single fault is displayed and noticed that the “D10- Fault”-fault is missing. Though also in the code it is masked out:

by the (r0 & 0x3FF) the D10 is masked out, since 3FF & 100 0000 0000 =0; so instead of 3ff it should be 7ff. Not sure if this is intentional or not (the fault-fault flag doesnt mean much anyway).

Also I am not so sure if the first fault register 0x00 is read correctly, since it is handled separately for the SPI-transfer:
int r0 = drv8301_read_reg(0);

Assuming the terminal reporting is correct: this means that the DRV thinks (or even registers) that there is a OC condition on all fets at the same time, over temp condition at the DRV and under voltage as well as over voltage (which rule each other out in my opinion).
Do you have an explanation for that?

I also rode the board and had the same behavior:

• high motor current during startup, everything fine (even if you take your time and tease the motor for 30secs or longer);

• flying is fine as well, no matter how long

• only problem is full throttle/current when having speed (testet on the water; not flying);

So at high rpm and high current that means max power, only then and only after some time (~20secs), not right in the beginning, the DRV fault is triggered. And none of the other VESC faults (like the Abs_overcurrent).
In my opinion there shouldn’t be much difference between high motor current at start up and high motor current at max power for the ESC. Since only thing differently is the duty/rms phase voltage.
Maybe you got a good explanation for triggered fault?

1 Like

At start, max current is with about 80% dutycycle, foiling with max current, its 95% duty.

My guess: there is a secret build in chinacrapdetection :crazy_face: and the Vesc shuts off

It goes from 27.5 mohm to 28.3mohm. I would guess the warm motor has a temperature of about 35-40°C.

@Trampa: Your last response was 15days ago and I’m still waiting for your answers… I also wrote to your service mail but no one answered yet. The reason why I paid the high prices for a product like yours is also to have some support. Like you can imagine I’m quite disappointed about your service and I’m quite sure that something is wrong with your VESC. All other Vesc (Flipsky) working flawlessly with this motor at even higher currents.

I know you can do it better!

There is another strange behavier:

When I’m using the integrated Power switch pin and GND and press the NC switch once the VESC is going into fault. The fault is the same like the one we discussed about:

What is going on here?

I solved the problem with the help of @Giga!

Problem solved by miracle, or what did you change / where hast the problem been?

Guys, it’s not fair to go ahead and blame on any body. I know it must frustrating, Your job is to trouble shoot the setting, replace and try different alternative before blaming on someone. I think anyone has the same problem, must try first to swap out things like battery, motor, etc at the last resource…

Hi Justin,

I already tried almost everything. At the end of the day it was a Vesc setting to change:

Changing the switching frequency from 25khz to 15 kHz solved the DRV fault. Maybe the DRV was overheating and reducing the frequency helped it to don’t have a temperature shut down. No single failure now.

I wished that the support of the original product had told me this week’s before. It was quite tough to figure this out while crashing with full speed all the time…

3 Likes

Thanks for The information.
I also have one board with 100kv motor and vesc mk4 and was out running yesterday and was going to Do a max speed test.
It happened exactly The same thing for me, went totalt dead after around 10-15 second of full throttle after being out foiling for More than 30 min in cruising speed.
It was conpletely dead and I was worried that Another vesc had been burned. After i got a long swim into wharf so i could open The box and reset it, everyhing was working as normal and u could go in cruising speed back home.
When looking at The logs i can see i also got The drv fault.
I Will try and change my settings on The switching to 15khz instead of 25 kHz.
Did this solved your problem and it is working without any problem now?
I have a vesc 6 mk4 in my other board also with FR motor and never run into this problem with that combo.

I’m quite happy now that I’m not the only one :rofl:. Some DRV faults happens again but there was no need to reset it anymore. Also it doesn’t happen at full speed anymore. So the failure is almost fixed. I use my relais in the receiver board of my maytech remote to reset it over the air if I need to reset it in the water. Please give us feedback if it fixed the problem for you.
Unfortunately that was my last Trampa VESC6.

Cheers

I have changed my settings now to 15khz and planing to test tomorrow.
What Do you reset with your relays in The remote? Do you still need to reset some thing before ut works again?
I hope it is not as terrible as before when you have to unplug The battery cable to get it working again…
How often Do you get some faults nowdays?
Is it any other parameters you have changed? What motor current have you set now?

Cheers Jonas

The MK4 got a Pin for connecting a powerswitch. I use this pin combined with the relay on the Maycrap receiver board to reset the VESC via button press on the remote.

But I don’t need to anymore.

Almost none. I haven’t changed any other parameter. My motor current is set to 130A.

Wish you good luck!