eFoil riding regulations/laws

Okay. I had the same plan. Riding the same round is only so much fun.
But before venturing out I think I will go through same path as you did. You tried to register via “RDW vaartuig registreren” ?
You mentioned a hull number, did you just paint an imaginary number?

This is my hull number, made it myself just by looking at other hull numbers so it has the same style. I did it via the website “vaartuigregistreren” wil cost you €54 you have to pay in front and you don’t get it back if registration is not possible.

Thanks Rienk. I am going to give it a try. I am not surprised they don’t do a refund :joy:

I`m from Pfäffikon ZH and asked the Seapolice ZH already a year ago. The answer was: Electrically powered surfboards are generally prohibited in Switzerland.

I have also asked the Schiffartsamt (Zulassungsamt) Konstanz if it is allowed to ride on Bodensee and if it possible to get a registration number. I do not have the answer e-mail anymore, but the answer was “is not allowed and there is also no single permission granted”.

I just got a visit from the waterpolice. I Live next to the water so when I saw them coming I got my board out of the water in my own garden. They stopped by and where very friendly and intrested about my board. They told me they will not fine me but the max speed here is 6km/h. I had to give them a demo and they took some pictures. They will try to get some information for me if it is possible to register my board.

1 Like

starting my build and I live in Germany I’m currently stationed here. Does anyone know if a Water Jet Surfboard allowed on the Rhein River. I live in mainz on the rhein and this would be awesome to do this. I have inflatable standup paddleboard but I am designing a Water Jet purpulsion that attaches to the fin box.

Hey Rienk,
Sounds interesting. I guess the 6 km/h speed limit in your area is for all objects on the water, right? Do you have a section nearby where this is not the case?
Nice that they were this interested and helpful.

Yes it is 6km/h here everywhere. I can also go to the river, it is only a few km away from home. But there is more trafic so I like to efoil in the channel where I can jump in from the backyard.

German dudes,
I think I owe you an update on my recent water police encounters.
Was giving a lesson to a new efoil enthusiast and was stopped once more. This time by the undercover water police (yes they exist). But this time I came prepared, I had printed out the letter from Andreas from e-Surfer stating that the Bundeswasserstrassenamt categorizes efoils as Kleinwasserfahrzeug (basically small boats) and was free to continue foiling as I pleased.
This feels like a massive win!
Basically we are allowed to foil circles around the other boats.
At least on Bundeswasserstrassen that is. Lakes are a different issue still.

2 Likes

Hi Bernd,

this are great news. Can you share that letter please?

I copy&pasted from e-surfer into word. Will laminate the page soon. (Got stopped 3 times this year so far.)
Somewhere in the middle number 1 for Germany…

4 Likes

Thx! I actually have an IBS (internationaler Bootsschein) for my efoil. From ADAC. This will help to argue to ride a “small boat”. Where did your policeman encounters take place?

Cheers

Not sure your ADAC registration helps. (And my board is officially registered as well, but that doesn’t help either)
Key question is whether efoils are Wassermotorräder (closest to PWCs for the English speaking readers here).
ADAC states:
Ausnahmen* Wassermotorräder: Diese müssen für Fahrten innerhalb Deutschlands ein amtliches Kennzeichen eines Wasser- und Schifffahrtsamtes führen.”

Amt für Wasserstraßen Münster says they aren’t though. Which is good news. I did get a ticket in the past for being a Wassermotorrad.
Water police encounters so far:

1. Dämmeritzsee with friendly reminder to register but no fine
  2. Seddinsee now registered but still 55EUR fine for being a PWC not holding a straight course
  3. Müggelsee No fine all good
    (all part of Bundeswasserstrasse, all close to/in Berlin area)
2 Likes

i am moving to kaui - and wondering about the same thing,
before i purchase, *( also r u the person that i spoke with on kaui about lesson ?
i am excited about trying it.

Hi.

By “Kaui” do you mean the island of Kauai, in Hawaii?

I am on the island of Oahu. I know a guy named Rohn on Kauai with a Lift e-foil. But, I don’t know if that’s who you were talking to.

:call_me_hand:

Hi there,

Seems there was no update here since almost one year. Any further information from other parts of the world?

Thanks
Andreas

Transport Canada posted this “Safety Reminder” in November 2019: https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/safety-reminder

eFoils were discussed in a session during Transport Canada’s November 2020 meeting, however any changes to the 20+ year old antiquated laws will take considerable time/effort - but we have contact with someone within TC who is positive towards the technology/sport.
Recording of the session here - includes a presentation from Nick at Lift: Dropbox - TC CMAC Meeting 20201112 eFoil.mp4 - Simplify your life

Here is a deck we put together to help build public and governmental awareness and support on updating these laws: Dropbox - eFoil Safety in Canada - November 2020.pdf - Simplify your life

Our Canadian eFoilers Facebook group has also had some active discussion: Redirecting...

Hallo Andreas,
Ich habe auf eurer E-Surfer Website rauslesen können, dass:
Efoils als Kleinfahrzeug und
Jetsurfboards als Wassermotorrad
Eingestuft werden.

Kannst du mir sagen wie es mit Surfbrettern aussieht, die mit einer Schraube angetrieben werden (wie z.B. die Waterwolf Boards).

Vielen Dank
Timo

Gute Frage. Ich habe das Waterwolf Board nicht mehr explizit angefragt, da es ja im Moment nicht mehr verfügbar ist. Könnte beides sein. Aufgrund des Propellers ist der Waterwolf leiser als ein Jetboard, aber er produziert genauso Wellenschlag. Ich weiß nicht genau, ob es vom Jetantrieb abhängig gemacht wurde.

Greetings. I have been looking for updates on laws and regulations around the world. No one has commented on this thread for a couple of years. I doubt that is because all is right in the world of rules. I live in the state of Connecticut (CT) in the US on a large lake which is filled with powerboats and jet skis and wake surfers including some who foil behind the boat. I always ask first but the waksurfers have been very generous letting me play in their wakes. CT has an old law, written in 1987, banning certain “powered surfboards or waterskis.” Obviously it was written long before efoils existed. And the language is quite specific: to be banned a vessel is powered and 1)less than 24 inches wide OR 2) steerable only via the rider shifting weight. I have petitioned the state agency to update this old rule and also I am challenging the language because my board is greater than 24 inches wide and I can turn an efoil without toe or heal pressure, by twisting my torso/hips, sometimes called a shoulder turn. I realize that this may be difficult to prove to an obstinate agency. I am getting no help from Fliteboard which is a bit disappointing. What is the latest around the world?