eFoil Battery Packs

That was close one mate. Any signs of swelling or deformation, dispose of them safely.

Li-ion. Typically in 18650 format. But still don’t charge unattended. I still don’t charge in my house. They are stored and charged in a steel filing cabinet in my detached garage away from anything else that’s combustible, just in case.

1 Like

One of my battery pack :

A good thing is to check IR of each cell when charging

2 Likes

nice. What do you think of this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32806835246.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dsDylqj

I prefer to make my pack so I know what is inside
50a bms discharge is a little weak
2a charge will take forever +12h

My 8p12s at 80a gets hot and I have a good current control discharge with my vesc , I would go below 10p

E35 doesn’t seem to be a good cell for efoil : to much voltage drop

2 Likes

Thats not a fair test. The 35E is only rated to 8A. they are testing at 10A. It actually holds up a quite well against other more expensive cells.

3500mAh 18650 Li-ion cells' discharge capacity test (Sanyo NCR18650GA vs Panasonic NCR18650GA vs LG MJ1 vs Samsung INR18650-35E).

2 Likes

I have bought that very same battery. I havnt put it through its paces yet.

The company has great reviews and has been around since 2011. My purchase from them was positive with great customer service. They went out of there way to organise shipping to NZ which can be a bit tricky with batteries.

The BMS is a bit low on this battery for an efoil I believe. I bought mine for a lower powered project. I plan to buy another of the same battery and run them in parallel for my next efoil build.

Have a talk to them, they might put a 70A BMS in for you.

Wow that was close before burning I think… Lucky You.!
Thats why we give customers free pyro bubbles. really cool new ceramic stuff, that will prevent batteries from starting a fire, due to removing oxygen, cooling it and then enclosing it…
You shoud check that stuff, really cool!

thanks for the info! I’ll do this or build my own. I read a bunch and it doesn’t seem too difficult

Anyone have any thoughts on using somethign along the lines of: Wholesale Price Rechargeable 3.2v 100ah Lifepo4 Battery For Electric Vehicle - Buy Solar Street Light Lithium Battery,3.2v 100ah Lithium Ion Battery,Rechargeable Battery Product on Alibaba.com

Good (if any) and bad points?

A12s pack will be around 34kg😱

1 Like

What’s the quantity?

Hi. Less than ten. For 2 efoiler!?

Is this still possible to purchase?

How does this battery work out?
All ok?, any issues?

So I’m stuck on the battery (going with flipsky 100kV motor from the discussion over at New Direct Drive Inrunner 65150 - #278 by theone - Propulsion System (Motor, Gears) - FOIL.zone) and I’ve spend a few days emailing back and forth with a few companies but shipping is killing me as its only 1 piece I need via Air to Ireland- what you gonna do eh? So putting that aside, I’ve found the below:
This product is no longer available.

So me not being a battery expert or having built one of these efoils before, I want to check that I’m all ok with you guys before I place the order:

I’ve been quoted the below:
$240 per unit
13S12P - 48V 36ah
IP67 Box - 335177145mm
BMS
Charger (additional $15)
18650 Batteries (type tbc)
11.5kg (why so heavy? but they say they can not do lighter :frowning: )
Max Discharge of 72A - possibly they are being conservative here
Continuous set at 36A (can be changed on the BMS?)
2 year warranty
Shipping Cost… $130 :face_vomiting:
Thats all in $385 which is roughly €345 and they accept Paypal (big plus for me)

So I’ve asked them to hold the price for me until the end of the month so I can iron out any details which may arise here. All been very helpful so far from them so hopefully that continues. They said if I can get a few people interested they maybe able to offer me a slight discount so if ye wouldn’t mind passing me details and I’ll put you in touch directly with them

Can all you lovely people please rip this apart and let me know what you think and if it all stacks up or not?!?

Yup - I had to go away and do some more thanking - see my latest post. Also went away and decided I know nothing about batteries and to stop sending links without understanding a bit more. sorry and thanks for the feedback!

I would not count on the IP67 thing, looks more splashproof than waterproof to me, but I could be wrong…just the usual skepticism by looking at the connectors.

This might be enough, depending on your weight and your components (If you are around 60kg and have a build optimized for efficiency).
Still since this might be a prototype build and maybe your friends will try it as well, I would go for much higher continuous discharge.
Also since this is a prebuild battery and might be pottet/glued in plastic (to assure the IP67), you might not be able to do any modification. So no new/higher BMS, no other connectors usw.
My recommendation: Look for a complete battery with at least 80A continuous.
Skip the IP67 part in your search, so you can change connectors without worries and you will have to put it in a waterproof box anyway.
Also I think this battery is quite tall, your hatch wont be higher than 100mm…

1 Like

Hey Tim. If you referring to the Vruzend assembly kit I wouldn’t go near it. In theory it looks like a good compromise however the quality is very poor. The connecting strips have burs on all the holes which require grinding off in order to double up on the thickness. The threaded lugs are random lengths again making it hard and sometimes impossible to get the nut on when using two or more strips. Invest in a quality spot welder, you wont regret it. Kweld make an great one that works off a lipo battery, very compact and neat.

https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product-category/kspot-welder-kit/

1 Like

So I’ve been back in touch with them and the price has increased to:

$296 + $15 for Charger + $130 Delivery (to Ireland) = $427 ~ €385

This takes into account the increased BMS and change in cell type to 80Ah continuous and we have re-configured the battery (13S18P) height to be roughly 70mm.

I know 13S18P = 2000mAh batteries but at the price for the whole kit - if we can live with the weight - is it now a more attractive battery solution? Or are there still issues with it?

He also says he can offer 2200mAh cells for the same price so getting an extra kick there to 39600mAh or else reduce the battery weight by 1.17kg

I know the battery is probably only splash proof (I don’t mind as I’ll have it in a sealed compartment in the board) but I’ve yet to see an alternative that is cost comparable inc. BMS and charger which removes the need for spot welding and comes with a 2 year guarantee.

Thogughts from all Welcome

My biggest concern wouldn’t be the specs, it’d be trusting a random supplier from Alibaba to deliver what they promise. That particular supplier doesn’t appear to have much of a history on Alibaba either.

If I were you I’d try to find someone on here who can make you a battery if you have the cells shipped to them. Or I’d try to find a premade eBike or eSkate battery (they’re often 12S or 14S) and just run a couple of those in parallel.