Drill gearbox system?

Has anyone looked into using a drill reduction gear box? Top brands have huge torque specs and often come with 1/2/3 speed settings.

I talked to a guy that services electric tools, and he said they just throw them away if the tool is not worth fixing. I am assuming heat would be a problem again with sustained running, with a efoil application.

Just putting the question out there.

Nathan

We had this question a few times. Electric drills maybe have 200 Watts. We have 3000Watts. You could try, but it is not promising.

I think the drills are more like 1200w - 2000w range

I watched all your YouTube vids last night max. Nice looking board and build there.

I feel your pain with all that fiberglassing and sanding!! Hahaha it’s a long tedious process isn’t it.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

1 Like

Thank you! I am glad you liked them.

I am just glad I could hook up the sander to the vacuum. There was a 3cm thick layer of pink dust in my cyclone separator.

I am a fitter machinist and have built a number of ebikes and have started onto an efoil build. I am looking into using an electric drill gearbox. They are built to a very higher standard and can handle a high torque. There are usually 2 or 3 sets of planetary gears that bring the ratio down to 14 - 20 to 1 but you can utilise just one set that will give you 4 - 5 to 1 ratio. They will certainly manage the torque it is just the high rpm and heat that generates that is the issue. I am looking at an aluminium housing to mount it in as a heat sink to keep it cool. Also make sure it is a good quality drill such as metabo or dewalt.

1 Like