DIY Waterproof remote

The price of the remote is a steal in comparison to the rest of the prices. The best is the data cable and fireproof case.

I seen that! Crazy.

To me, although $200 is expensive for what it is, I would happily pay it just for the casing :see_no_evil:

Just ordered one! Will share pictures as s soon as I receive it

3 Likes

For me, like a mobile phone, the link is bidirectional, that is board AND remote can transmit AND receive. So we have an uplink (board to remote) and a downlink (remote to board) traffic.
Whereas the remote transmits the essential information (trigger position or governor level (pwm=speed), radio beacon to let the board decide when motor should be switched off = remote to board distance is too far),
the board is also an important transmitter as it transmits:
1- board battery level to display on the remote
2- different warnings: battery/motor heat excess, board battery level under x% capacity, reduced motor power, tbd …
3- advisories: “please go back to starting point” (?)

2 Likes

300usd with shipping and taxes for a Maytech versus 200usd + something for the LIFT
This could be an excellent investment with a bit of work :wink:. Looking forward to that moment.

3 Likes

Here is the tear down of lift remote:
there is a chip nf52832 based certified ble module which comes with built in RF amplifier to boost the radio up to 20 db which I argue if it is nececcary with proper desing and external antenna in the housing rather PCB antenna, and that is it guys no further magic in the electronics!
there is a E paper very slow refresh rate display .
you could not desing the hardware cheaper than this very poor design
The housing design, tons of dead spaces and unnecessary bulky corners which makes the display to look even smaller than what it is.
Liked the trigger approach so no wiring from outside to waterproof section
Uses 2 AA battery which makes it even easier to go for certification and regulatory stuff
long story short, seems the design has been rushed and purposely made cheap as much as it is possible. For around $12k price tag I would except more for the remote part of it

8 Likes

Does it feel good in the hand when you use it?
Is there a microcontroller under the screen on the other side of the PCB?
Are you saying you would have designed it with an external antenna?

Let me present some counter logic:

• The BT832X board is a long range (1000m in open air) bluetooth 5 module that no external antenna. It also seems to have better penetration than most other modules. It sells for around £15 in the UK.
  • No external antenna means fast and simple assembly with less to go wrong during the assembly stage in the factory. It also means there is nothing to come loose if the remote takes many knocks.
  • The E-ink display is another very clever idea. It is guaranteed to be seen in all light conditions. It is black and white which eliminates any issue where someone may have colour blindness. It is also A LOT more expensive to use a display like this vs a small OLED screen. The smallest E-Ink display on Banggood goes for around $13 whereas the OLED screen Maytech uses sells for around $6.
  • While there may be dead-space in the remote housing, I don’t really see what else you would want to fill it with or why you would need it to be smaller? All the users seem to say its comfortable and easy to use. It floats and a larger remote is easier to see if it is dropped in the water, making it less likely to lose.
  • The AA batteries don’t only mean that certification and regulatory stuff is easier, it ensures the remote can be very easily and cheaply shipped worldwide to anyone that may have broken the remote.
  • The remote is $200, not $12K. The extra $11800 pays for a lot of other things :wink:

All in, I see a well designed remote that is economically good for both company and user. This remote definitely costs more to manufacture than the Maytech remote, it is better and is then sold for cheaper. How can any of that be bad?

2 Likes

Does it still read liftpatents.com on the bottom? Their first ones did but there is nothing on there.

Yes it does but I didn’t see patent id on it. It amazes me how you can patent such a thing

Very nice and thank you for doing this !
My main question is : can I pair it with my vesc (75/300 nfr 51 or 52 included )
Display information not necessary , at list the ppm or it is working current control ?

You’ll need to build your own Bluetooth receiver and on the receiver side decide what type of signal you want to send to the ESC.

I can agree with some of your points. About the antenna you always can get better efficiency with external antenna although the pcb antenna this module has is the best in its class.
About simplifying assembly , I don’s see any effort in this regard. 4 separate pcb’s, lots of potting instead of locking connectors,
About dead space, rather than putting stuff there it could be more slim and ergonomic design with saving space.
About the LCD, you mentioned a very rare case of color blindness, I am wondering why TV makers dont go bankrupt then , just joking. My complain is why not little bigger display and I agree black and white always give higher contrast in very bright environment.
About electronics, an example there is no ESD protection, on any potential inputs, like buttons which you might say they all covered with plastic and direct touch for static discharge, while this is true but there is always a risk specially on battery compartment which user has direct access to it.

I dont think it would work out of the box.
I use this board for moy curstom remote that I am working on it
https://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=94964&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Nordic%20Semiconductor&utm_campaign=NRF52840-DONGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-b7qBRDPARIsADVbUbVo9V98SeWKc6u77k3rTPikBAoTBqRtjijhmdEC6pA6jbV-OCgFoM8aAhk_EALw_wcB

but it would super easy to make a custom firmware for this remote to work with VESC’s nrf51 remote. Since I am working on my own remote I will not have time for custom firmware for this remote maybe later

Thank you , my vesc has already a built in Bluetooth , I was thinking maybe the lift esc was kind of a vesc … :wink:
I don ‘ t have the knowledge to write firmware … I have it for Subaru car ecu and that’s about it …

Hi cippoco, last weekend we made the first ride of our efoil. The remote control worked without any problems! But up to now not in salt water.

Nice to here this from you, i’ve received it, but i still doesn’t try!

Hello
I tried to build my remote control with your arduino schema, but it does not work, my question: is it necessary to pair the receiver with the transmitter?
Thank you

Hey,guys.How do you think about the remote for efoil? without trigger.

Guys just to give you an idea of what will be available in July in europe and what the future design could look like;-)

4 Likes