DIY mast & wing sheap

Hi. Cool stuff man. I just wanted to ask where you bought this aluminium profile and where you got your mounting plate?
Joosep

Rui, nĆ£o terĆ” sobrado por aĆ­ algum desse perfil quebra sol que dispense?
Estou a pensar fazer um hydrofoil para um Cayak.

Iā€™ve made a 24" mast with carbon around a lightweight plywood core that was pretty solid. Admittedly, thatā€™s short and it was a lot of carbon (I think 10-15 layers of 6oz.)

If you do this, bag it and use overlapping layers of different orientation. More than just the side to side flex, you need to prevent the torsional flex as much or more than the longitudinal. 45Āŗ layers can help with this.

Hey. I wish to make front and rear wing from polymeric foam. How can i do it ? Is it possible to do it with hot wire ?
I thinked that with CNC would be easyer.
I heard that i can take sketches from airfoil database.
How can I choose hydrofoil there that will work ?

Iā€™m going to diy version for my efoil.
At local aluminium manufacturer I found 2 different alu extrusion profiles.
One is 90x15mm and other one is 95x25mm.
Will any of this be good enough for mast length of 75cm?
Or shuld I printed it with 3d printer and laminate I?
What is better solution?

I will make my mast from carbon fiber.
And now Iā€™m thinking how to strengthen it.
And I came to one solution but I donā€™t know if it will work.
What if I use 3 steel rods instead of cu cable to power my motor? With 3 steel rods I think mast will be strong enough.
Of course rods have to be insulated because mast will be made of carbon fiber which is conducted.

Really? You want to strengthen a carbon fibre mast wit steel tubes??:+1::joy:
The steel tubes on the other hand will be a good heating system inside you mast

Itā€™s actually not such a bad idea as one might think. Masts should have max stiffness/volume to mininise drag and there steel is superior to carbon composites. Itā€™s only on strength/weight that carbon beats steel.

But: the outer shell provides nearly all stiffness and torsional rigidity in a profile so three rods canā€™t be compared with a full shell of steel - or even an alu mast.

The electric properties are poor for steel so iā€™d not use them as bus bars.

Hi, I was used profile 150x25, but you need to make reinforcement for fastening the mast to the board, because. in this place, the maximum effort. The mast turns out to be very rigid, but the handling suffers, I use RL the mast, the handling is much better. But thatā€™s my personal opinion.!
IMG_20220606_162221|375x500

Okā€¦tnx for that info.
I checked and price for RL mast in lenght 75cm is 65eā€¦Iā€™m really in doubt if there is any sense to go with diy project. All the materials needed to make it cost more and you need a lot of time to make it.
Can you please tell what motor did you use?

Go with Gong. You can not get a cheaper foil. Use the V2 Mast. Very stiff and plenty of space for cables and hose.
GONG FOIL ALLVATOR V2 ALU MAST - Foil - GONG Galaxy (gong-galaxy.com)

You can find a lot of used wings on the internet.

I use my motors, 12 slot stator, 14 pole rotor. But you can use flipsky 65161.

Nice Motor, can you give some specs?
Dimension
KV
Power

This year I was make different kv motors for tests.

1 Like

I think I will not even start building my efoil.
At first I have in mind APM motor and 150e for esc max. cost for both 250-300e.
Now I see that the only way is waterproof motor flipsky or similar. And prices are above 400e plus 200a vescā€¦and not to mention that I have to go to 18s lipo battery to get enough powerā€¦Iā€™m simply not willing to pay so much only for motorā€¦bad
Does anyone have any cheaper solution?

18s??
There are people foiling with 6s. Standard is 12.
You can use APS 63100 outrunner motor

Cheapest motor option is a 63100 Outrunner run wet: https://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/63mm/aps-63100-outrunner-brushless-motor-140kv-4500w/

Runs well on 12S.
Needs modification, search the forum for outrunner. Also needs some maintenance, better to run in fresh water.
To build an efoil is not cheap, you still need esc, battery, board wings.

Using a chinese 6384 you can save 60 bucks, but in the overall cost of a real efoil it is negligible

1 Like

18s??
yes:
flipsky 65161 Voltage: 6-20S (25.2-84V)
APS 70160 MAX VOLT: 24S (100.8V)
so yesā€¦with my 90kg + all gearā€¦plan is to get above water :slight_smile:
I know it is not cheapā€¦I didnā€™t say I cant afford it but that Iā€™m not willing to pay so much for motor.
So salt watter is not good? I gues it need to be washed after use in sea.

12 -14S are enough, some run on 16S, but I would not go above 14S, itā€˜s just too dangerous in the water. It doesnā€™t mean that you need run the motor @max S specified.
I run my outrunner in saltwater some times in holidays, it works but even if you rinse it in fresh water after use, there will be more corrosion and you need to change the bearings more often. On the orher hand, no problems with sealsā€¦