DIY full carbon mast & blue carbon fiber wings from 3d printed molds ! (free for efoil builders)

Hi DimaVeter,

Thanks i’m happy you like it!

1- The beginner course is for people who want to learn how to make any 3d printed mold reusable, learn a simple and cheap way to make a vacuum bagging system and how to make composite parts from the 3d printed molds.
Then everybody is free to make their own design if they want. For people who can’t make their own design or just prefer to download my design and see how I make the parts, I made it available in my website. So because you don’t know how to make 3d molds and how to create a vacuum, you will need the beginner and the efoil course.

2 - It’s a better design, the center line of the motor is much closer to the center line of the front wing (so no downward momentum from the motor during acceleration) Also you have the full length of the mast. I didn’t have a chance to use it yet. I have tested the strength of each part and it’s ok (it depends how you will build your parts too!). And the wings are made from NACA profiles with predictable behavior.

3 - Every details are in the beginner course (material list with links, how to make the vacuum system in video, etc.)

4 - There should be 2 front wings available, one of 76 cm wingspan (delta shape, surface area of 1530 cm²) and the other one of 96 cm wingspan (high aspect ratio, surface area 1046 cm²).
I’m working on another wing : 92cm wingspan and 1800-2000 cm² for people who need a wing really large.

1 Like

Hello
by buying a course I have access to the download of all the files?
what size printer do i need to make all the parts?
Thank you

Hello Philippe,

Yes you will have access to the STL files. For the efoil you need a minimum printer height of 20 cm and a minimum plate of 20 cm x 20 cm.

thanks!

thank you for your answer, I just bought it :sourire:, a small question how you made to fix the engine on your Mat

Thanks!
I will attach the motor to the mast with a small connection box (3d printed most likely). I don’t think I will seal this box. I will simply open it, clean it and let it dry after each use.

Worth reading:

Fusion360 wing design tips by CharlieUK :

Based on Moses Onda 633 front wing using a H105 profile:

1 Like

Hello
what do you stick the different parts of the mold with?

I use 5min epoxy glue

Just curious, I’ve printed some of the molds, but haven’t started the build yet. Did you do anything to protect against galvanic corrosion where metal parts come in contact with the carbon?

There isn’t much you can do to the insert, you can only choose the right material : marine grade stainless steel, aluminium (a strong one), or titanium is the best. You could add a sacrificial anode next to the holes if you want. Then it’s just maintenance (loosen the bolts, cleaning with fresh water, use tef gel or other anti corrosive lubricant). If you don’t feel comfortable adding insert the way I did, you should use standard insert like this :

Simply fill the fuselage with the filler you want and you can drill holes to add the insert (it easier this way)

Where exactly are these inserts located?
Why don’t you use helicoils?

There is a pdf file with the holes position in the downloadable files. You can make threads in 3 different way when it comes to composites. The worst solution is to do the threads directly in the carbon fiber or fiberglass, it’s not possible for us but in some situation it’s ok to do threads in the composite part. The second solution is to make a hole in the composite part and then add the threaded insert (or helicoils). The final solution which is the best if done properly is to add a metallic parts when you laminate the composite part. Then you can make the threaded holes yourself (it will be much stronger this way).

What about rivet nut inserts?

I don’t think it would work here, because usually rivets have to be a little longer than the part itself (or both parts if you want to attach 2 parts). It’s a good way to add threads on composite plates, etc.

Hello
Why did you make a mast tilted forward, could you turn it into a right?

It’s because when I first designed the mast & fuselage it was like other foils (mast & fuselage perpendicular), then I decided to move the rear wing below and blend the nose of the fuselage with the motor section. And to make the nose section smaller (and keep everything else at the same position) I had to add an angle to the mast.

I didn’t change it because I liked the more agressive and different look! But yeah I guess I can change it. I will try to upload the file this week end (I have other things I have to finish first so it may take a little longer).

1 Like

I would also like to test the file for nose / mast bracket.
I like it very much.
I also believe in advantages if the rear wing does not run in the drag vortices of the front wing.

Greetings Frank

Hello Visor360
I am currently on the footprints of the parts, can you tell me how to place part No. 8 of the fuselage for printing and if i need supports when printing , thank you

Hi !
I always design the parts to never use supports (for better results)
First position the part like this :

Then click on “lay flat”:

You should always print each side of the mold parts together for better accuracy (and it’s faster) :

Right click on the part and click on “multiply selected model”
Number of copies : 1
Use the mirror feature

super thank you for your answer