DIY - budget - high amp waterproof connectors

Thanks for sharing. Not that these would be hard to re-design, but since you shared I thought I’d mention that your google drive folder requires authorization to access.

Yes it’s a pretty simple plug.
Thanks for letting me know about the access. They should be open access to all now. Let me know if not.

FYI, these are working perfectly for me so far, and make life soo much easier!

Could you share real picture of the installation, I have some. Difficulties to catch how mount is all this stuff
Benj

More waterproof connectors: this is my approach to waterproof AS150:

![image|375x500

Printed in ASA-X, all threads printed.
Needs to be tested.

5 Likes

It’s not DIY but it’s a budget solution I’d like to share. Several models exist but this one is great. The 3 pins connector can be removed from inside to let space for XT150.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33002197500.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5f6d6c37zWnvdz

5 Likes

Only 16A rated. Are you using them? Any issues?

Should be OK since you replace the 16A connector core by the XT150 :wink: Therefore you remove the 16A limitation. Applicable cables with XT150 must be in the 5-10mm range though. Super idea Matt, at 0.82€ per item, so simple and elegant.

1 Like

Thats what i currently use. I just slide these over xt150’s. works great.

2 Likes

Im sold so! Purchase made :slight_smile:

Clever and less effort.

Yes they’re working perfectly fine

Here is my approach

Printed part going to waterproof connectors
IMG-20200118-083438

Done for 20mm and 10mm connectors

3 Likes

Great idea.
Very simple.Perfect!

They work just great! I use 3 since 2018 and still perfect, with XT150 and awg8 cables. Takes a minute to plug and unplug and are a little bulky but they are reliable and cheap. Got 4 of them on amazon for less than 15Euro.

sat_be great work!

can you share the CAD data?

cheers

No problem, here’s the Fusion 360 Link: Fusion
Please be aware that they won’t fit out of the printer, they might need some reworking, I used a lathe to make them fit.
O-Rings 13x1mm: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32904189270.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dLIkA3j

Threads: Cable glands: PG7, d12.5x1.27mm
AS150 connectors: M9x0.75mm

2 Likes

I’ve designed some similar waterproof connectors for my motor wires. They will be submerged in water when starting so I have a few questions:

What would happen if water got into the motor wire connectors? Would it short circuit the ESC? I assume water would need to get into at least two of the connectors to create an electrical path.

Is it ok to use silicone grease where the connectors interface with each other (gold to gold) or will the dielectric properties prevent a good contact even though it’s a tight fit?

Does anyone ever use silicone grease in the battery contacts to prevent arcing when connecting the batteries? If I have a switch filled with grease would it prevent arcing inside the switch? Would it lower the amp rating of the switch?

Is XT150 ok to use for motor wires or should I be using AS150 instead?

Here is my connector design:

1 Like

They look good, I built similar connectors to connect the ESC Box to the battery. Although I used AS150, I think XT150 are ok for the motor as you would not connect them when the ESC is switched on, so no spark. Hard to say what happens when 2 connectors get in the wet. In fresh water probably not much, in salt water it depends on the distance between them. I only used silicon grease to lubricate and seal the connector housings and seals, not the contacts itself. I prefer metal on metal for contacts.

1 Like

These are very similar to the ones sat_be made except for Xt150. I used the plastic cable glands though. You mentioned the plastic ones have leaked on people… I have two brands and one brand leaks and the other doesn’t so I will use those. But, what are the consequences if they do for the motor wire connection? Will it fry my VESC?

1 Like