Diy battery 18650 pack or buy one?

i will do that

thanks in advance

what happens if you use 14s bms on 12s battery? any problem?

Yep, most bms won’t work that way. You need 12s bms for 12s battery.

Does anyone have a good solution to keeping the cells cool under use? According to all the research I’ve done it seems like failing to have a good cooling system will result in very short cell life?

Hm yes I know that some companys pump a liquid through the spaces between the cells and cool it like that my battery looks like this and it’s never getting hot, warm but never hot.

Proven passive solutions I’ve read here and there (pls correct me if I am wrong):
1 - increase the battery capacity ie the y number in xS-yP battery configuration, ie the number of cells in parallel. We frequently see 12s-12p but 12s-14p or even 12s-15p is a good way to maintaining temp low. A bit more costly/heavy/space consuming though.
2 - (slightly) decrease your riding time: experienced users know precisely the battery voltage or the total Wh of their pack in order not to go bellow the 20% remaining limit. @Alexandre has posted a nice table for LiPo batteries some time ago (Volts vs remainning Wh). here … How low can you go? - Electronics (ESC, remote, batteries) - FOIL.zone
For paramotors it’s a matter of life and death…
3 - possibly read on batteryuniversity.com, don’t charge your battery to 100% but rather 95%.
4 - use pure nickel strips and not iron-nickel plated strips (cheaper) to assemble the battery pack, the less ohms, the better,

I understand all that and have been using battery packs successfully for a couple years now, I just have seen major manufacturers like car companies switching to actively cooled packs. Even though cells on the outside feel cool, interior ones could be getting quite warm. Nissan had a huge issue with battery degradation on their larger battery packs and not the smaller ones and the blame was put on heat especially during charging.

1 Like

Can you tell me about the voltage of the fan output on the PCB of the spot welder Aulakira Boss Level ?
Thank you. Thank you.

You might want to look here for information.

1 Like

Has anyone in Australia built a 18650 battery and have a reliable supplier for Samsung cells.
I have been searching locally for 18650 cells, but unable to find a supplier that has Samsung cells at a reasonable price.
I have contacted international suppliers NKON and Fogstar but they don’t send to Australia due to issues sending them via air freight.

1 Like

I’m sorry I can’t really help you out I’m from AUSTRIA NOT Australia :joy: wish you good luck.

1 Like

… but we have Kangaroos… in the Zoo :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I have also been hunting an international supplier, or alternatively how I can fly with them. I want to send a pack to South Africa…
One guy I know managed to carry 30 Samsung Q30’s in hand luggage, but they might have issues when I pitch up with 160…

1 Like

Most airlines will only allow you to take a maximum of 2 lithium batteries as carry on luggage and none as checked luggage.

Thats exactly what I thought. But apparently this guy went through with 30. I guess the airlines themselves don’t check and if you get through security then you ok…

Although you could very easily glue a series of cells together and shrinkwrap them into “one” pack. As long as each pack is under 100Wh they would let you on with them. So then you could take one pack on device (a miniature skateboard etc) and 2 spare packs…

2 Likes

I like the way that you think Jezza. But that would still restrict you to about 10 batteries.:battery:

1 Like

When these „packs“ don’t have a „official“ ratinglabel with maker information theycwill take it from you

1 Like

I would imagine you could print out your own label. The labels on most of these packs are hardly official and in the case of most Chinese packs they not even correct. Most of the battery packs guys use for their phones are far from rated properly and they are never stopped from travelling with them.

1 Like

To add to this. It appears that the maximum of 2 applies when the batteries are over 100Wh. Below that the regs state “Limited quantity for personal use.” with no actual indication to how many. Clearly thats how some guys have transported up to 30.

1 Like

Believe me. They take it. Happens to me with prototype packs for the powertools I develop. Even they had plastic housing and looked like serial production parts they took them because the label was not correct enough