Custom propellers with CFD analysis

Hello Sliman
I drive/fly many props,
Yamaha and others, printed and Alu or Plastik…
That really good for this money.

Sorry, 500 is too mutch for a Prop, there no is stainless steal :joy:
Alu is a cheap material.

Torqeedo, I know colleague’s there🤗
I will construct a foltable Prop for DIY, with little works and little money… But I have little time :laughing:

Too time I have here 20 - 25 props for tests.

Greetings Frank

FR prop is not 500€ , it is around 140€ even less taking discount or group buy , or the one made for direct drive setup , it is worth all its money , You can drop it on the floor and it won’t even remember it
As far as the design, I think It can be better, we don’t need that much of thrust if we don’t want to tow someone or go over 40km/h
As far as quality , nop can’t be better than that

For study case , I think they are many parameters : top speed desired , and total weigh … voltage drop on the battery …
it will hard to have a design that please everyone

By Fr for the Standart Prop he will 200,- he said.
Lift Foil for the fortable Prop 500,-
Its too mutch for the little bit Alu.
When the props are broken I were angry…
My Yamaha props I laughing and I make a new Prop on the foil :joy:

IMHO, the only thing they have in common is their size and their high price… the LIFT prop looks more KISS and more original with its large blades to me, the Torqueedo is more flush and clearly inspired by the Flexofold 2 blades test champion used in boats…
Lift_folding_prop_2019
Torqeedo%20-Folding%20Prop

About the lift folding prop, it opens when the throttle is on and closes when the throttle is off right? There is no button on the remote that you need to press to close the prop right? If that’s the case anybody could buy a folding prop and use it on their diy efoil!

Exactly, the genius of those props is that opening and closing are only depending on centrifugal forces therefore pure physics. They appeared on boats in th 70’s so it’s old stuff.
You can have a look at the LIFT thread where Nick Leason shows how they work.
To cut folding prop cost down, I think that STL printing (UV+ resin in eg Photon printers) (maybe FDM) has an important role to play among DiYers as it is strong with a nice finish.

Torqeedo: flexofold inspired, composite boss with stainless steel needles + bronze blades + heavy internal gear

LIFT: no composite, just this kind of bronze (?) + light internal gear
https://www.instagram.com/p/B12CcZwHpcL/

How does that prop perform compared to the regular 3 blade one?

Not tested yet but here is an idea:
1- apparently, LIFT don’t use any nozzle protection with their folding props
2- if you look p97 of the Test yachting magazine here
LIFT and Torqeedo folding prop were inspired by the Flexofold 2 blade…

A two-blade version of the Flexofold, its performance was only slightly down on the three-blade, and in fact better for astern thrust. With better test results across the board than some three-blade units, it exploded the commonly held myth that twin-blade props are inefficient.

Plus, this description kinda goes along the same lines. If you want to use an efoil to surf swells and waves then this might be a good option but otherwise, is there any other reason why someone would pick a two blade folding prop versus the regular 3 blade?

No straight answer. The LIFT Folding prop costs 1000USD :crazy_face:. Not sure it will be popular if you’re not a surfer or doing downwinds frequently. Performance wise, only a good data logger can tell if there is equivalence. IMHO, folding props can only improve.

Found on the Flexofold site:
These modern Flexofold folding propellers offer thrust comparable to fixed propellers in forward drive (...) thanks to improved weight distribution, blade area and shape

Lol ! Don’t know why I tought they were similar :smile:

Fact is, the effizenz the falteble Props is no only proof.
No current, no speed, no rpm what the Prop need.
Only proof too expensiv.
FR Prop AL without too current, speed and rpm? I have it not found.

Best regards frank

No there is no data on the foldable props yet as they are only available for Lift boards. The price will always be higher than a standard prop though as there’s slightly more machine time involved when making them.
Too expensive is a relative term. It might be too expensive for you, but for others that can afford it and are happy to pay for it, its the right price.

Not quite sure what you trying to say here?

Too expensive … laughing …
It is not worth it to me as long as it is achieved at a fraction of the price
Greetings Frank

To FR props I can not find any data … current, rpm, speed
Greetings Frank

There is some data on the FR prop in the 65161/65162 motor thread. I have been running one on my setup. But bear in mind that all data is also relative to what foil you are using. I am very happy with the prop and it was definitely worth buying it from my perspective. It far outperforms the other boat props on the these motors. The simple reason being that the blades can be much thinner than boat props as the mass it needs to move is a lot less so there’s less blade flex.

FR certainly also used CFD to optimize his propeller. He does really have good performance + blades are not more than 2mm thick, which adds greatly to the overall performance like you said.

The 7.5x8 plastic prop also has very thin blades, down to 2mm, and runs really well and effectively with me.
Price 12, -

45min work folding propeller hub
The rest comes in days :blush:

DIY must not expensiv

Greetings frank

5 Likes

What cnc are you using? I’m guessing you using Delrin/Acetal?