Chinese hydrofoil for efoil?

Why do you prefer such foil rather than gong foil. It’s almost the same price but the gong allvator is known to work perfectly. Thus, you can upgrade the wing when you get more skills.

Hollow can have different meanings so you’ll have to ask pictures before buying. Forged carbons masts are manufactured through a die like aluminium masts but at a fraction of the energy. Here is what they look like. What you need is the (full) hollow mast. They might be lighter than aluminium but as they are made with strands of carbon blended with epoxy, we don’t have many feedbacks on strength and rigidity.
[Edit] Beware: these are sold with supfoil hydrofoils though for mast length not greater than 65cm
see here for seller recommendations

Mast length can customizing make :
longer mast is hard to control, suit professional surfer. If mast length is more then 65cm, we have to use solid or half solid mast to get better torque.

Not this half hollow mast (leading edge screw insert on the way) and of course not the solid one.
Forged carbon half and solid masts

IMHO, as @Thom said, I would go the Gong way.

Thom, SoEfoil, Thanks for the information. I tried to view the GONG foil website and put a foil assembly in my basket as a test. For what ever reason most of the words are not in English. It appears that the GONG foil would be about $500 USD. I was not able to tell what the shipping would be. I bet its not cheap$$.
It appears the Gong foils mast and fuselage are aluminum.

1 Like

I am also planning to ditch aliexpress Chinese foil assembly. Wondering what combination is the most efficient setup for our purpose. Would you mind sharing what did you choose for wings and mast?

A complete Gong Surf Foil M or L costs 399.-
Included in that package is:
Front and Backwing
65cm Alu Mast
Fuselage
Mastplate
And a lot of screws for mounting

I got from one other person the information that you can select the 80 cm Mast instead yeh 65cm in the ordering process.
Cost +10.-
Shipping around 30.-

First you have to choose the EN interface in the top right corner. By default they estimate that you live in EU so they include 20% taxes and 20€ shipping. This disappears when you click on “Proceed to Checkout” where you can choose your country.
If you are outside the EU, they remove the VAT (divide by 1.2) that is 332.5€ (370USD). To know the shipping cost, you have to request a quote by email
So a 399€ foil, should cost around 430-450usd to the US including shipping but without import taxes.
For a few $$ more, during the ordering process, on top of a 80 or 90cm mast, can also swap the classic front wing for one of the PRO line (see @Riwi 's comments about the Gong PRO M front wing with kite stab) .

See also @Louis build post:

4 Likes

Thanks for all your information. I manged to duplicate the steps you outlined and did see that the price was lower than I thought, as you said it would be. I was not able to get to any were that talked about the foil assembly with the pro wing or the longer mast option. I did request shipping information and some detail about the foil. Waiting on a response. I also read all the links you suggested. Great Info.
I am thinking all foils are probably made in China. Everyone claims to have great technology and research. I was really happy with my current cheap Chinese foil. Its the only foil I have ever seen in person. I just want to try something different. As I get closer to a purchase I will probably be asking more questions.

A couple months ago I was able to buy the gong allvator surf foil with a 80cm mast and the pro m wing. You just need to ask them for the special order. I found them very helpful.

Requested by kitefoil beginners looking for more lift at any speed, see also their Kitefoil range where you can find two foils with M “surf” front wings with masts longer than what you need in a Surf/Sup practice (65cm):

As @rogjalon said, when in doubt, they are always very helpful by mail. That’s how you can get a Pro M front W with a shorter 80cm mast.

1 Like

Would anyone recommend the GONG SURFOIL ALLVATOR 65 L for a novice 85Kg rider using 61512 motor? Will only be used on a flat lake and not in the sea or in waves.
I just want to double check before i hit the order button.

Feel free to recommend any other Gong Combinations.

I just pulled the trigger on the GONG SURFOIL 65 M.

Nick at Gong has suggested the best foil for me would be the pro clear XL. He has offered me the option to custom order the GONG KITEFOIL ALLVATOR FREESTYLE XL and swap out to the PRO front wing for 100 euros extra.
Not seeing many on here using the XL wings, Its going to be harder to transport for me an i wonder if i really need to go for the XL

1 - Pro L or Pro XL: since 2017 and then the we know that any surface in the 800-900cm2 used on efoils (Nobile kitefoil 815cm, Gong M 900+ cm2, Slingshot Gamma, … ) can fly riders up to 80/85kg (170ish lbs). Anything bigger means comfort, stability faster learing curve and slower speed. During the first hour you will praise the stability of a XL wing (92cm, 1730cm2) but after 2 hours, you might reach the top speed and probably prefer the Pro L (77cm, 1230cm2 plus a good glide reported by Louis). You can’t go wrong with the L Pro (a bit cheaper -20eu- as well). If you are SupFoiling, or if you want to efoil at low speed (longer battery life), the XL might be a good option though.
2 - Pro clear or just “Pro” ? They charge an extra 50EUR for a better clear carbon look. Same wing performance just an extra Torx screw on the “Clear” model for more rigidity in turns. Up to you.

1 Like

Its a little bit of a gamble. My current Chinese foil has a 80 cm mast. I like it, its fun. I am keeping that build intact, so if something goes wrong, I still have something to ride.

I don’t know if I will like it or not, these are my thoughts. I am about 195 pounds.

1. My new build, (Third build), 23" wide, 60" long, 4" thick, - So hopefully its light weight.
  2. A short mast might feel better because it changes the height on the mast where the motor pushes on.
  3. I do 95% of my riding on a little lake that does not have big waves.
  4. The M wing may be a little small for me. I am hoping it will be a little faster than my old foil.
  5. The GONG mast profile looks a lot like my current Chinese foil mast. So maybe they are interchangeable.
1 Like

Hi Mac,

I am on the purchase phase for my first efoil build. are you happy with the performance of this foil?

Regards,

@Vincentbraillard have you tried the New CrazyFoil Jet Track 2020?

https://crazyfoil.com/shop/2020/jet-track/jet-track-2020/

Thinking about cutting on weight and upgrading my wings for more lift since these CR:X foils are not only rather small but also heavy

Hi. I run with this wing and work like a charme

1 Like

Perfect! I like that the setup comes with a large and small wing for a great price!

Also got around to making a small test stand for the foil. Took me awhile but finally came up with the easiest & cheapest way to do it!

Used the wing threads to mount a piece of aluminum channel to and just c-clamped the channel to the boat lift. That way I could raise and lower it in i had to check anything or later on when I begin testing multiple prop configurations.

Anyways when adjusting the max phase current to 120A the motor ran full out with no issues at all (roughly 10,000 RPM measured)

When max phase currents were set to 150A the motor could not maintain consistency with erratic pulses in the RPM kinda like it was hesitating briefly

Felt like a 2-stroke motor fighting to keep going on an empty tank

1 Like

Really nice test setup. Does this have any force or thrust measurement capability. I was thinking of something similar and integrating a hinge and a load cell to measure force. You are way ahead of me so far though.

Not yet but the lift frame is able to pivot 3 to 4 inches in both directions. So I think I have an old luggage scale at home that I would like to fix to one of the canopy supports so see what kind of thrust I’m getting.

Not the most precise method but should work for comparisons