Challenge to myself - Fully 3D printed pumping board, no fiberglass or carbon layup

But but but… this build… why…? Seems so unlikely to be worth the effort😄

1 Like

Test tomorow or wednesday
Confidence level 50/50 :joy:

1 Like

It would be interesting to see if 2 5mm stringers, and 3mm Paulownia skins would make it worthwhile. A 3d printed core is less effort and cleaner for some than cutting and shaping foam.

1 Like

yeah, that would be a great option.

My largest concern with a build like this is 3d prints are rarely 100% waterproof, a ding with some infill gaps on the print might get the board filled with water that would take forever to get rid of

Or just a layer of cfk or gfk.

Perhaps also try inverted logic, 3d printed skin around a xps block with 1mm alu-profile as stringer :joy:

When installing a mast, i’m not so sure anymore about the rigidity :slight_smile:

Update in the next few days.
Had an issue as the holes do not Line with my new to me takoon foil.
M6 bolts fit.

I should have used an infill or shells modifier for the bolt area, but just learned about this in orcaslicer.

2 Likes

The bolt holes should be running through the alu tubes, that way you have better rigidity. Your only real way forward is to use a carbon skin with wrapped rails to stiffen it up.

Survived first session just fine! However After almost 2h session, it has soaked some water.
I will have to find some way to seal it better.

Edit: board took around 1 lt of water After weight test. Now draining in the sun.

I also made some progress on my pumping despite using the 1450 and not 1950 I will receive soon.

6 Likes

Love your video ya man!!
maybe try coating board with stuff below…?
Also, I have had luck printing honeycomb infill pattern with a port to inject 4lb expanding foam. that may help rigitiy and waterproofing

I already had tried epoxy on asa, without great sucess, the epoxy was peeling off…
My best bet yet is acetone-asa slurry brush-on.

Board has been dried and ready to a second session today, back down below 3kg total.

I will wait to find some coating/waterproof solution, before gluing on the pad :rofl:

A lot of improvements are possible for a v2, first things would be :

• dowels between all blocks near the edge and on the centerline
    -infill modifier near the holes to have 100% infill connection to the tubes.
    -replace dowels with printed features and glue with bolts :sunglasses:

I haven’t had issues with delamination even in saltwater use - fyi -

The properties of XTC-3D that make it less likely to delaminate from a 3D printed object compared to general epoxy resins include:

1. Adhesion: XTC-3D is specifically formulated to bond well with the materials commonly used in 3D printing, such as PLA, ABS, and nylon. This strong bond reduces the risk of delamination.

2. Flexibility: Unlike some rigid epoxies, XTC-3D retains a degree of flexibility after curing, which helps it to move with the 3D printed object under stress rather than cracking or peeling away.

3. Low Viscosity: Its low viscosity ensures that it can seep into the micro-gaps and layer lines of 3D printed objects, creating a mechanical lock that enhances adhesion and reduces the potential for delamination.

4. Thermal Expansion: XTC-3D has a thermal expansion rate that is more compatible with 3D printing materials, reducing the likelihood of delamination due to differences in expansion or contraction under varying temperatures.

2 Likes

Interesting, will check if I can source it in France !

1 Like

By the way, cracked 25 seconds today :v:
The board did not break !

Looking forward to test with 1950 foil, should be a walk in the Park compared to 1450 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Tested the 1950 Yesterday, could pump for 30secs with river current in the noze.
Managed actual dock start, hands then feet on the board.

Stoked :v:

Board not dead yet. One of the glue joints has failed, will redo it before atempting acetone smoothing.

Xtc -3d is quite expensive, could be a back-up plan

3 Likes