Builders: how not to drill your alu or carbon mast!

1 Like

… IMHO it is quite possible to implement this solution at the 90° angle from mast to pod. However there might be a possible heat exchange issue between the three flat cables. Round is beautiful :grin:

Pod%20detail

@Gobbla Would you mind sharing details or files of how you implemented the wire duct. It’s always nice to see how others do it before I get distracted by my own horrible ideas :wink: For instance, I’d be curious to see if you used a key to connect the various 3D printed pieces together…or how the assembly/bolts were arranged in the nose…etc. Thanks. Trying to experience with this approach to ease myself into more builds in the future.

Hello, just back from holiday, I will try to share files this week.
I have test to pass cables in the mast, disappointing, no gain in electric consumption

This is sort of where I’m heading based on some stolen ideas :wink: Looking forward to seeing what you’ve been thinking.

1 Like

@mkefoil Nice work . You may also want to consider this design Flipsky/ Maytech 65161 propellers for sale - Props & Ducts - FOIL.zone

Thanks @theone The prop end is where I still have the most to learn. I’m also pushing design parameters so that I can print everything myself here on my smaller print bed. So I’m going to have to go a little smaller in diameter to fit everything (especially if I don’t want to go open prop). The one in there is an enlarged version of something that started with the parametric design I found here. I’ll go through the whole java prop process and see what I come up with there that fits. Hopefully finding a decent compromise.

STL file :

3 Likes

Nice mast clamp :ok_hand: I think this pod nose that you screw on the front clamp body is underestimated and the way you hide the mounting screws is very clever. :ok_hand:1909%20Gobbla%20nose%20cap

2 Likes

thanks, dont hesitate if you want solidworks model , to improve it.
if you need small modifications i can do it

2 Likes

How wide is your prop duct?

I need one for a 195mm aluminium prop

Unfortunately I haven’t gotten back to the duct. That’ll be a summer project with tests in the water. Mine was just too beefy and caused too much inefficiency. I also abandoned the shroud and ran the cables up the mast. Not because I had any real problems with it, but once I got a more dedicated board setup (not using my kite foil board), it just became less complicated that way.

As an aside/update @SoEFoil: I thought I was clever and went that way too :wink: I also ran my cooling line through the screw on cap. In case that’s helping anyone here. All fit in a Slingshot mast actually and helped to make use of the front cavity. Happy with this aspect for sure.

1 Like

An included water inlet in the screw ? Huuuuu it is truly cool. Congrats Mke ! Looking forward to more 3D views and to it becoming real. Hey @Gobbla what do you think ?
MKE Nose Cap Inlet
I hope you won’t mind guys but, I would be really happy if a foil pioneer company like @Mantafoils was launching the first retrofit efoil kit that preserves the mast integrity (ie no drill) with such a cool feature… at a DiY price of course ! :wink:… There would be a mast compatibility problem to solve as there are different chords and thicknesses on the market. Possible solution: ala @Rienk solution (not soft today), a kit with different spacers (hard or soft) could fill the gap between pod nose and motor.

20190807_Rienk 01a

Forced watercooling of the ESC above the mast plate from the pod screw nose ! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: The simple, effective and aesthetic solution of the people for the people ! I just hope that sbdy will not patent this.

Ha. Thanks. I’ll definitely share more details of the build once things warm up here. The build is done though and I’ve already spent a fair bit of time riding it. Love this thing and real childhood dream come true! Just potentially revisiting my battery design though at the moment due to a slight fear of swelling LiPo’s.

1 Like

Yes… This is the mast that you screw from the bottom. The profile center part has enough space for wires while the space in the front can guide water (what we do in our design).

1 Like

@SoEFoil yes good idea, i just adive you to increase size of threaded part, i break it twice with similar diameter. now with big diameter it is solve

2 Likes

water inlet is possible :

arrive_eau arrive_eau_2

1 Like

@Gobbla Yup, that’s pretty much exactly what the part I posted looks like on the inside. Pretty happy with it and works great :slight_smile:

1 Like

We might argue that a hole facing the direction of travel could concentrate the dirt and clog the pipe up. A nose diverting the dirt plus a side hole might be more “protective” in that respect.

Yeah. I was thinking of popping a mild filter in there. But in practice, the salt and corrosion ended up being more of a significant “issue” in real world use. Giving it a sensible quick rinse solves both problems (and I don’t even normally ride salt water).