Boost Surfing FIN greatly inspired by Efoil

Hi Guys,

Was looking for some videos on Efoil and came across this one :

Interesting as it is nearly a copy / paste of what we already use on efoil. Also, if you look closely, the prop seems pretty close to te original PM’s one with 5 blades :

My bet is that they are using kind of 5065 BLDC motor as direct drive to get 10kg of thrust @800W. Also, pay attention to the fact that they are using a third generation Blheli esc along with a controller, which is what we are using on drones today. Which also is what @stijnhof is planning to use on his board. This is definitely an interesting build.

Would love to hear your thoughts about a similar “compact” build for foils :slight_smile:

Have a nice day and happy new year everyone !

3 Likes

Hello 800watt 10kg …? Ok but where is the lipo?
It is so tiny!
Good things with blheli refresh rates!

90Wh battery inside the fin. With 800W it will last a whole 7mins. But they only do 8 and 20sec on periods to catch waves. Thats where the 2h runtime comes from.

especially the old pictures show the pacificmeister prop :slight_smile:

ok i undertand nice litle option for surfing or sup!

I backed it a couple weeks ago… i’ll send info when they ship… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys,
Im trying to understand something but im no good with power calculations. They are now offering a kickstarter for a SUP version at https://boostsurfing.com/sup/ and saying its not just bursts for catching waves but up to 60 min continuous and up to 11 mph. What am i missing here besides the fact that their videos look speeded up? Is this fin totally different than the surf fin? How is that tiny battery capable of powering it to that speed and for that length of time? If it were true no one would be buying $10k efoils.

Guys, i found a similar product thats on the market now, is this too weak for a foil? Says 6mph for a paddleboard
https://bixpy.com/bixpy-j-1-outboard-kit/#gallery-12

I just take a look at both products specs. They look identical. Same power, looks like same prop. Same baterry. Design looks slightly different.

I don’t buy it. It’s nearly impossible with this battery configuration. Take a look at third post. Giga explained how they managed to find such a runtime.

I think someone already tested it on efoil. Wasn’t powerful enough, which is no suprise. It lacks of power / torque and shaft speed.

229$

They go through a lot of trouble to hide the runtime.

Turns out it’s about 15 minutes. I’d be surprised if it ends up lasting that long in reality.

It is made to catch waves, not for constant propulsion! I wouldn’t buy this if you want to cruise around assisted!

Yes but it’s painfully obvious that the whole song and dance around runtime is intended to obscure that fact, you really have to dig to find the actual runtime. Most of the demo videos I saw also have nothing to do with surfing, it’s just someone on a SUP without a single wave in sight. Again, made to mislead people into thinking this is some sort of cruising motor.

Just look at the screenshot two posts up: “For SUP and other boards”.

I think it’s a good toy to use on high water on streets under rain :slight_smile: I know places where water flooding streets each strong rain for an years )

Would be nice if they added the seal port for adding external battery pack…

I have a dream …

A while back I put down the $200 to see if this will work, to propel my sup / surf foil in unbreaking waves, allowing me to just barely catch waves that are otherwise not catchable. My hope is that I can mount it to foil mast, get a boost, then once up on the foil and out of the water, no extra drag.

One day I will post a report if my dream came true … I have my doubts, but remain cautiously optimistic.

1 Like

Something like this ?

RCjetman

2 Likes

Hey cool…tell me more, did it work? EG enough forward momentum to get up on foil, then once out of the water minimal drag? Looking at this, I now realize one constraint: my mast will need to be longer.

The open prop kinda worries me a little though.

I am working on somthing similar! Here is concept 1, made several changes from this revision, but more or less the same.

There are a few very high discharge cells and I belive combining with a 6383 or 63100 outrunner you should be able to have it lift you all the way up!

3 Likes

Here is the current progress!
Currently printing the internal structures!

not very proud of the battery but I believe it will work.

1 Like