Boards for eFoil

We will soon sell our inflatable boards with waterproof insert box individually as seperate parts without mast & prop systems. Demos will start from 999€. So if anyone is interested please contact us at
e-foil@elevate.rocks
Elevate_rocks-inflatable-klein

2 Likes

Hi, can you show some pictures from the box for the electronic?

Today I was thinking about the idea to add ailerons to the foil. So you would have more lift at the start and less drag at higher speed. Could you not add a second smaller wing below the mast clamp to provide some lift? Then the drag is removed once you are further out of the water. I am just thinking about the concept.

1 Like

To be progressive, IMHO should be a “ladder” of three or four front wings: 600cm2 (main) + 200 + 200 because 1000 (600 main + 400 secondary) to 600 in one go could create a porpoising effect.

I need a board… so I guess I’ll post in this thread if anyone has one they can sell me. I’d like one that is similar to pacificmeister’s board, because I’m going to be testing his design with the electronics on the mast and separate battery box.

Maybe it would be better to hack my own out of some foam and learn to glass it as a project…

I’m working up the courage to shape and glass my board. So much time and work…:sob:

Then to hope it’s not a failure! :rofl::crossed_fingers:

I ordered an inflatable one from elevate.rocks which is designed as efoil. Works perfect. I first had a geared drive on it with cheap gong foil, now using direct drive motor…

eFoil board descr_1 12cm
A very accomplished and sexy version of the above board is certainly the one that @pacificmeister showed us on his November 2019 video, yes the yellow one, the '‘super light board from Don’.
Mast placement at 1/5.75 = 17% of board length from rear. What’s nice for DiYers with this new board is the absence of waterproof hatch. The small ESC from @nickw1881 is placed above the mast plate. Therefore, the battery case is tiny with just a 12s battery still able to bear 2 x 40min ride (PM comment).

Hey Merten, would you give us the dimensions + weight of this board, especially the board thickness and the “hole” dimensions inside the board plus pictures of how you connect the battery box (waterproof connectors, …)?
Would you have construction details from Don about how this high volume board can be so light ?

191110 PM v2
191110 PM v2 01

2 Likes

Yes I was super lucky to get this board. It has about 120L, so lots of volume. Perfect learning board for friends and family. It is all carbon but I don’t know construction details. It was a ridiculous 5 pounds only, before I cut the cavities, no pads and handles. I didn’t do a good job with the cavities and water is seeping in somewhere. Getting heavier.

I will soon post a new reference design of the complete setup with an example board that includes all the cavities. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

I’ve made a video of the process of making my most recent efoil board. It has a hinged lid that was easier to implement than the threaded screw lids in than my previous boards. Could be helpful for the people who plan on making their own!

When I finished the fibreglassing, a professional automotive painter sanded, primed and painted it.

21 Likes

Hey, that looks good. Perfect for anyone who wants to get an overview.
Very well done - and with a happy ending …

1 Like

Very nice , thank you for the great ideas , I was thinking making my board the same way , and I like the vesc put on the top

1 Like

I’m glad it could give a good overview. These are some of the parts I used:

The board is 4 sheets of 1200x600x50mm XPS foam, 3 layers high and the 4th piece is cut in thirds and stacked to extend the nose.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EVA-Foam-Boat-Marine-Flooring-Mat-Faux-Teak-Decking-Yacht-Car-Sheet-90x240cmx6mm/192960724300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Pack-Cam-Latch-Hatch-Pull-with-Back-Plate-Boat-Stainless-Steel-MxEol-0220-2/283500051834?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Acrylic-Clear-400-x-600-x-8mm-Sheet-CAST-Perspex-Optical-Clear-UV-Protection/262513709171?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hollow-Rubber-Seal-Trim-Automotive-Door-Bonnet-Edge-Protect-Heat-Resistance-4-5M/232979220360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And here are the files for the latching points for the latches, there are hollow latches for if you want to fill with resin, thanks to the forum users for that great idea and there are solid ones too:

7 Likes

Great video, Thanks. How much did you board end up weighing?

It’s just under 7kg without the acrylic lid. Maybe 9-10 kg with the lid.

Jake, My last complete board with batteries 14S x12P (18650), was 72 pounds or 32.6587 kg).

I know the metric system is a superior measuring system. Unfortunately I think in pounds and inch’s.

I’m hoping to shave off a few pounds on my next build. Or (few x 2.205) kg.)

You could definitely make it lighter. This board is probably on the heavy side. How much does your board alone weigh?

My new old board weighs in at 5.5kg without hatch lid. Currently using a polycarb hatch but once the carbon one is ready my total board weight will be 6kg.

I think my last board started out as fwd 6 foot of a 12 foot windsurf board, I think 22 pounds. Then I did a bunch of reinforcement to the aft end to carry the battery box and support the mast.

My motor is also heaver than most, 80100 in a can with some oil.

My new board is just a block of XPS foam at this point. I have been experimenting with carbon fiber on my battery enclosure. I learned what not to do.

1. Epoxy takes forever to dry when its cold out.
  2. Even after epoxy seems dry, when its cold out, its not.
  3. If you put the epoxy in hot water so it does not flow like jello, Next thing you know your mix is steaming and you have 5 seconds left before it is unworkable.

I will start another build log soon, I’m just getting my plan together.

1 Like

Hi Mac, thanks for the hints. About what temperatures you are talking? I want to laminate a board in winter in my basement with about 15 degree. Is this still alright?