Boards for eFoil

Sure thing, share away. I would upload them to the forum but it wouldn’t let me upload in PDF. I also have a 3d model in fusion 360 if that is any use to you.

1 Like

Use a free upload service. Fusion 360 would be great too.

1 Like

Hi Max. Sorry for the late reply, been really busy this week. Here are the templates and Fusion 360 file if you still want them. The 3D model is very basic, as I am shaping from the templates I only made it in 3D to roughly work out the volume. I didn’t bother adding rails etc as I am shaping them by hand. Hydrofoil Board - Google Drive
Started making some progress.

6 Likes

That looks really nice. Will you float on it? Is your deck curved or flat? I think that curved might be stronger.

Thanks. Will still probably have to start lying down and then stand up when I get some speed up, I am close to 90kg but someone lighter may be able to start standing on it. The deck is curved (about 30mm), would have liked it to be more curved but I was limited by the thickness of the polystyrene sheets. Cheers

as its my day job If I can be of help in creating a cad file on shape 3d and the g code for people to cut it on there cnc for personal use I have a full licence for shape3d which is a board shaping software I’m happy to do draw up a basic design and file that people can down load.

bellow is just a example of what I normally cut

12 Likes

That is very nice! I have a question. How do you line up the blank when you flip it over to machine the other side?

I have a center line machined down the table and then just a line on each end of the blank.

What are the consequences of using a larger board? I have an old windsurfer I am considering using. I assume greater stability but also greater drag until airborne. Or perhaps there is less drag because of increased buoyancy? Increased weight. Anything else?

I wonder myself. Since foiling is a physical challenge on its own, I want to make it easy to learn.

probably the biggest thing is swing weigh, having a smaller lighter board means it is easier and faster to react, the odious benefits of less to have to lift. Having a bit of width will also hep a lot when you make a unscheduled landing and offer a bit of stability when taking off or going at sub foiling speeds.

1 Like

Another factor in the volume consideration is if you have to paddle back to shore in the event of no power.

1 Like

This is such a great place for the DIY. My project started from scratch in August with building my board.My idea was to create a hollow medium sized wooden surfboard. First goal was to float👍.

As you can see, my mast was pretty amateur and the foil the same. I’m currently reworking the mast- I will post when I have it updated.

I was pretty happy with outcome of the board- sealed it with teak oil and then marine spar urethane. I tried the board/ foil in early September as a tow behind the boat before the boat was put away for the summer. I believe the mast was my downfall - I could stand up on the board but no matter how how far back I was on the board, it would nose dive with slight increase in speed. I believe I had too much drag on the mast. I’m also improving the foil now that I’m finding more information out there to go on. I have a video on the water- just can’t upload.

8 Likes

@Dave, Hopeing this will help, if it does, see more videos on youtube from Delta Hydrofoil Pro Tip. :smile:

Good work tho…

4 Likes

So the guy in the video confirms my theory in the „lets make the optimum wing first” thread. In the first 2min he explains how the kite creates a large moment. We don’t have that moment with the motor pushing close to the wing. So we probably all should modify our back wing for less downforce.

1 Like

Oh definitely helps - thanks for the response and video link.

1 Like

Hi just thought i would start to post after following this site for a while. Below is a pic of a board and foil , the board is am old SUP with high density foam layed in for the mount and it’s my second wing the first failed in the fuselage, we live and learn.

3 Likes

today i‘ve planned an cut out a prototyp in the size of 30% from the original. the final one has a size of 160cm65cm13cm, so i think i have enough volume.

I completed the first of at least 4 lamination cycles. The bottom is far from smooth, but should be very strong. My vacuum bag ripped, so I couldn’t apply enough pressure to keep it flat. It will probably remain uneven. Hopefully the top will be smoother!

8 Likes

Progress on the board so far. Now ready for glassing. Going to use 2 layers 6oz glass top and bottom with an extra 6oz patch where the foil goes. Didn’t have a hot wire cutter so I had to block sand the entire bank.

6 Likes