Board making on a CNC

Today was a pretty cool day. Got to take a board I designed from Fusion 360 and covert it to Shopbot CNC. Foam cut super easy, no dust with the vacuum collection, and was honestly super easy once I got it setup.

Many thanks to @pacificmeister for helping me along the way as usual!

6 Likes

@tylerclark Awesome! Do you own CNC or found a shop to do it for you?

I belong to a “hackerspace” which allows me to use great tools like the CNC. So it’s been great to speed up my development and do more DIY.

1 Like

Very cool, Same here in Antwerp Belgium, acces to 3d printers, cnc and others. Willing to share your file?

1 Like

Eventually yes. I need to make sure the board works (hydrodynamically) and that I can put a board together using the methods I’m using (cutting top, cutting bottom, gluing together). I’ve gone down the road before of posting files as I go and then things change, it’s a hot mess to clean up and ends up detracting from the community. So yes, once I get the board on the water and it works I’ll make a big write-up!

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing this new method develop quickly.
What’s your CNC size ? How many pieces to assemble the board ?

Easy alternative to Fusiion 360 for board design, free open source exporting to STL:
Boardcad: BoardCAD download | SourceForge.net
https://www.boardcad.com/

Other SW I know, even in their free version, import any format (STL, AkuShaper, Shape3d, …) and trap their customers by exporting only to their proprietary file format to be sent to a shaper who bought a licence. Not the case with SW exporting to STL.

Looking at the pict, I am confident :wink:

Only CAD SW like Fusion are able to create nice and sleek looking hatches…
@tylerclark have you found a way with @pacificmeister to create a new Fusion 360 plugin that would make easy the board line design + user interface for hatch position / dimension and lid thickness ?