Board building shaping

In terms of layup, all depend what you want: light, super strong, something between.

A classic good construction would be:

for the deck from the EPS core to the outside:
-60 to 80gsm glass this layer doesn’t really give strength, it help spreading an even coat of epoxy between the EPS and the PVC foam. I also had good results without fiberglass spraying PU glue directly on the EPS then applying the PVC foam under vacuum but it is messy and you need to be really fast closing the bag.
-3 to 5mm High density PVC 60 to 100kg/m3
-2x layer of 200gsm glass overlaping rail
-3 patch of 200gsm carbon over the mast plate zone

For the hull you do the same

If you want to go light you replace the 2x 200gsm glass by 1x200gsm carbon 3K with one layer of 60gsm glass (optional but help with finish)

This construction require a vacuum pump

You can use the high density PVC foam only on the deck and do single skin construction for the hull but it won’t be as strong. In this case use 4x 200gsm glass if you have a good vacuum pump you can use 2x 400gsm bax + 1x 200 gsm glass woven but biax is harder to get around the rail and nose.

2 Likes

I guess you use to build windsurf boards? :slight_smile:

@Shaun Agreed with what was posted on EPS XPS … i would add that the fact that EPS bonds better (less likely to delaminate) is important for a first build as the lamination might not be perfect… but make sure you get “heavy” EPS: at least 1.5 / 2 lbs.

If you don’t have access to a vacuum pump, don’t try the foam layer… and Add a layer of glass (200gsm = 6 oz if you’re in us). Weight is not a big deal anyway as your batteries will be wayyy heavier than the board …
One more thing: Patch were the mast connects are helping a lot, but think about one or 2 stringers too that can spread the load …

3 Likes

You guys are great. Thanks