Ben Gold's Build


#1

Hi everyone. Builder from New Zealand here, just finished my E Foil. It should have been finished several months ago but I had to move country and pretty much start again. Hopefully have some test video footage in the next couple of weeks.

Huge thanks to @Hiorth and @pacificmeister for being such great pioneers and for all of your help.

Tambien, muchas gracias a @virus, tus videos me han inspirado mucho.

And also a big thanks to everyone else on the forum for all of your ideas and information.

The finished E foil:

Board:

I used two 80mm sheets of EPS, density of 28kg/m3 and glued them together. I drew my design in Fusion 360 and then converted it to a full size pdf in photoshop and printed it on a plotter. I then made templates out of 6mm MDF and cut the board out with a hot wire cutter. I also snapped the rails with a smaller hot wire cutter i made and then sanded the board to do the final shaping.

I used an aluminium top and bottom plate with 10mm aluminium tube for the foil mount.

Fibreglassing in the hatch.

Wet sanded to 1200 grit.

And with EVA deck grip and logo on.

Remote:

I think the remote probably took the longest for me to design and get right. It was the first thing I ever drew in Fusion 360 so may have been a bit ambitious for the first project but got there in the end. Bluetooth with Arduino nano, Oled screen for remote and board Battery level and deadman switch for safety. Huge thanks to @hiorth for your help.

Propulsion unit:

I used a sss 480kv motor with a 6:1 Reissenaur gearbox and a 140mm 3D printed duct and prop.


#2

Great job! Your 3d prints look like manufactured plastic. Did you sand and treat the plastic? Do you happen to have a parts list too? And maybe I missed it, but what did you do to make the foam look like that at the end?


#3

Thanks Tyler

I sanded all the parts with, 80, 120, 240, 400, 600, 800 grit sandpaper then I sprayed with a product called Nyalic, it’s a type of spray polymer resin, it’s quite expensive but makes a great finish and is really durable. I cut all the foam with a hot wire cutter then sanded it with a soft sanding block of about 120 grit. The board then has 2 x layers of 6oz glass and then I sanded the last gloss coat of epoxy to 1200 grit. Will get a parts list together and post it here when I get a bit of free time.


#4

Very nice! Never done that sort of work before but maybe I’ll experiment on my next one.


#5

Nice job :slight_smile: Have you tested that boat hatch under water/pressurized it? We bought a similar hatch, but it was not very waterproof. The one we bought might have been of bad quality tho.


#6

I have noticed a few dodgy seals on the boat hatches. I bought one and definitely would replace the seal.
I was more worried that the hatch might not hold foot pressure if full weight was applied.


#7

@Goldy Amazing build! I really liked your board design! Are you planning to share your board design?
the remote! the best one I have seen so far!


#8

Very nice work, and thank you for the detail in the picture,
I’m starting from the same principle as you concerning the electrical room: a NUOVA RADE boat hatch.
@Hiorth , I tested my hatch in my bathtub: no leaks. After asking the manufacturer he declares me an IP 66.


#9

Thanks guys.

Hatch didn’t seem to leak when I tested it. I bought a hatch made here in New Zealand and it is really durable, once installed barely flexes at all when it is stood on. Also going to fill the cavity where the seal sits with some marine grease for a bit of extra protection. I have all my batteries and electronics in seperate waterproof boxes inside the hatch so if a bit of water did get in it shouldn’t cause any damage. I also designed and printed a waterproof plug to house my as150 connectors for the main power connection. @samisin I can send you the plans for the board via email if you like. Just pm me your email address.


DougM's Puget Sound Build