Battery storage

Hi guys,

I couldn’t find a specific post talking about battery storage. I know at least 2 different E vehicle companies had their factories destroyed by fire due to battery going off. One of my mate set is garage in fire charging battery pack ect.

Here in NZ some insurance are talking to stopped covering fire due to big battery pack and government is looking into regulation to enforce storage of solar battery and other big battery pack outside houses.

Who got issue with battery and how it happened, charging, just in storage?

Where are you keeping your battery stored?

We are using quite big battery pack and it take only one cell to set the full pack in fire…

Actually, it depends on the battery type. This site has at least 6-8 users with Lipos which took fire and 5 users with puffed Lipo batteries. Users with Li-Ion or LiFepo don’t seem to have met these problems.
Just type “Fire” in the search area

Example:

Yep I did search… Li-ion are for sure safer than lipo but they still go off. Those 2 factories and my mate were charging Li-ion. Have a look online 18650 used in vap do occasionally catch fire.

I got 2 lipos fire already, can’t be explained as we used only 30% capacity of them. All were turnigy batteries (the green one.) We suspect those batteries to be crap. Our setup is super efficient and only pushing 25-30amp constant on big 4x6s 10000mah…

Which foil wings are you using for this?

Carbon surf foil 70cm span, we will commercialize soon with motor

Back to turnigy, iam the only person to burn them ?!

1 Like

I have 4x22000mah 6s from turningy. They are working very well for me.

1 Like

lucky you, i experienced some nightmares situation like having the iphone + car keys and then Turnigy Batteries starting their magic fireworks in same room…

I have 2x 6s 16Ah turnigy that I almost emptied a few time >90% and no problem so far… i got close to 100% once, they got very hot and stayed so until i charged them back…

1 Like

I built a <$50 battery bunker for storing my battery when it’s unattended in a heated concrete basement.

Inspired by this video: https://youtu.be/gobFcNzGG9I

1 Like

Using a sack of play sand sounds like a good idea!

This is my version: a steel box and rock wool.

Maybe I should add a sack of sand, too. :thinking:

2 Likes

Top battery charge information from main esurf and efoil manufacturers:

1 Like

Thanks!
I found this particularly interesting: " VERY important: A battery should never be charged below 10 degrees Celsius. All manufacturers agree on this."

I have an electric car. Some cars heat up the battery when charging in the winter time, some don’t. This means that many lithium batteries get charged regularly in sub zero © temperatures during the winter.

You inspired me as well, I’m going to add some Rockwool insulation around the inside perimeter and possibly the top as well. Can’t have too much fireproofing!

If you are looking for something portable to buy for battery storage this could be a good option if the dimensions work, although it’s ~$370 USD: image

Still cheaper than the $750 USD Zarges box that Lift resells for their batteries:

1 Like

Extover, Pyro Bubbles competitor show their granule can protect the packing carton containing a burning battery :star_struck:

A 30L metal bucket full of fire extinguishing granules for lithium batteries cost 50€/usd
https://www.voltmaster.de/ExtoverZ-Extover-fire-extinguishing-granules-for-lithium-akkumulators-metal-bucket-30l
Extover range of products : fire protection

1 Like

I am currently experimenting with Zarge boxes in combination with Cirrux pillows:

Inside is a Radinn battery (which is really huge in its dimensions). This size works for all kind of batteries including Lift, Jetsurf and Lampuga (which is also huge). But since it is so big it is not good for smaller batteries like Lift. So I have to come up with multiple sizes.

Article should be ready soon. For urgent requests send me a pm through:

1 Like

Cirrux looks interesting. Has anyone tested with bag(s) of sand? I had seen a video where a LiPo battery was covered in a plastic bag of sand. If it caught on fire, would melt the plastic bag and sand would smother the battery/fire - that’s what I’ve used in my battery bunker but I could consider Cirrux “cushions” depending on cost/availability.

I just use old BBQ grills. I figure if they can contain 700-1000 degree fires for hours on end, they should do alright for containing a 1-2kwh battery fire.

Interesting idea. Why not something like this with a smoke alarm above it?