Battery case for DIYers

We are testing the pack with and without the cells grid also in the purpose of having more space in the box. So there is a fairly large amount of possible expansion.
About a pressure release valve concept this is also a good idea but not sure how we could implement it as the casing needs also to have strength and resist certain pressure for waterproof rating.
Since the aluminum cover is machined there is maybe a way to implement a waterproof one way valve kind of thing…

It can be more of a mechanical structure that can handle huge pressure from outside but to break out at certain pressure from the inside. Or just some sort of of the shelf valve.

Safety valve used in home boilers? (idk the name in english)

ok yes it is true, does not feel like it is a good thing to say to the consumer that “there is a water sensor inside the electronics” it is a little too late once it enters water, so I understand what you mean by anouther layer of sealing. yes the safety issue with an expanding cell is grate to have solved from the beginning :nail_care:

There are pressure valves on the one hand and vents with a membrane (check Amphenol LWT) on the other hand.
The membrane is permeable for air and steam at a low volume. In case of a thermal runaway the membrane will burst and release pressure immediately.
The pressure valve only works for the thermal runaway, but not for changes of outside pressure or condensed water.
The sizes are pretty small with M12 screw and can be drilled in after injection molding.

I will check… if you have a link feel free to share.
I guess the pressure membrane is similar to what exists on some surf boards

This is the Amphenol one I ment. However I´m not sure about the burst function. https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Amphenol-LTW/VENT-BJ002?qs=0LO0wKYbZFWjShDfhaaRgg==

Another one is this one. It´s larger in size but might have better functions and quality.

Yes this is what I know from surfboards.

I will surely implement that in my final assembled packs.

Bimed product looks interesting but can’t find it on their website… :frowning:

Hi Renaud,
there seems to be a new one - take a look here https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/?qs=5aG0NVq1C4wAxWre7fChJA%3D%3D
Mike

by the way, amphenol connectors compatible with my casing for reference:
plug black
plug orange
socket orange
socket black

2 Likes

The new car batteries are filled with 2K sealant fluid as well as they have problems with condensing water after some years of usage…( they use similar stuff as silicon, but not silicon as that is kind of forbidden in car factories :sweat_smile:)
This new fluid has better heat transfer than air and it can be mixed with anti explosion and heat /oxygen-absorption material (similar to pyro bubbles)
We use this as well, and are happy with it now…
Fluid is available at bodo möller chemical, but very hard to get, only large quantities and very expensive…

1 Like

I never understood those people that like things filled with silicon :grin:

2 Likes

@ELEVATE.rocks is this fluid you’re talking about electrically insulating?You don’t want packs this big shorting out…
Also can you give me a link to it?
I can’t find it anywhere… :frowning:

yes it is !
You dont find it online as it is only for industrial use. They dont sell to private customers and only 30l+ . Specific name is bluesil and company bodo möller chemie :wink:

I am sharing today a 14S12P setup I am having prepared for some tests… just to show how the cells count fits in.

we shipped the first case few days ago, some more shipping next days…

In case some are interested on mantafoils website store there is now possibility to also order ready to use battery with pack inside.

we do it as a custom service only at this moment, no mass production.

we have been running our packs nearly every day in the past weeks and so far so good. we also have some customers who got the casing and did their own systems.

efoil section mantafoils store page

Let me know if you ever come out with one that is slightly smaller in height, like say 82mm total. Would love to use your case but too thick for a Lift board or similar size board enclosures.

Unfortunately no such plan. Sorry

Just curious, why is there so much space between cells (65mm long) and the interior part of the case (87mm) ?