Battery case for DIYers

Hi guys,

Following some discussion in other posts, I share here what I can offer to the DIY community.
today is my first product offer which is a casing for your batteries.

battery casing will soon be available.
those interested can PM me.
price will be as follows:

• complete casing with the 2 amphenol connectors: 340 USD + shipping
  • casing without the 2 amphenol connectors: 310 USD + shipping.

I hope to be able to ship first units around march 21st.

I am already using the first 2 sample units for myself and they work so far great.
as an extra safety I have filled the casing with epoxy. I plan also to test filling them with special 2 component silicon in order to keep so flexibility and dampen possible minor shocks.

casing can accomodate 12S14P, 13S13P, 14S12P

5 Likes

What material is this?

How looks inside the box?

Is the box waterproof?

It is plastic Glass Fiber filled Nylon.

yes it is, it does have a rubber seal. however, I do recommend to fill the casing with epoxy or silicon as a secondary protection layer.

I have tested the casing under 1m for more than 30min and no water came in.
Note that the connectors are IP67 when matted.

also here 2 example of battery pack that I am testing. one has a full plastic support, the other is without it.
those pictures are before filling the case with material.

aren these cases Fliteboards design or even Product ?

So this is SLS or injection molded?

Okay, inside are no parts so mount the Akkupacks.
Do you thing it is clever?

I construct and printet also a Akku Case fpr my project.
At moment i use Vruzend spacers that exactly fitts into the case.
In the next step i will be spotwelding my batteries and contruct an internal system for mount it…

I also using the Amphenol connectors.
Here a CAD from my housing.

Bottomside:

Top side / inside

no we have our own design, you can check flite batteries online and will see that they are quite different in shape and they have features.

From my side I decided not to have data port from the battery so there is only power out connectors. I use bluetooth BMS to access the core of the battery.
Having said that there is opportunity for someone to drill a hole… that shouldn’t be difficult.

it is injection molded parts

Thanks for the info. And thanks for the efforts building that injection mold. But frankly speaking, I can not understand why you charge 310USD for a simple injection molded part. This falls from the tool for less then 10usd.

1 Like

I wish it would be that cheap… but it isn’t sorry…
casing molds are expensive, quantity produced low, etc…
The machined and anodized aluminum cover is there also, custom rubber with it’s mold, etc…

2 Likes

It would never be that low. If you bought from Chin you would pay minimum $50 just for the case.

1 Like

I was talking about the part price when it falls from the mold. Not the sales price.
I did similar parts in the past from 3d to mould to part. 310$ is kind off „WOW“

Yeah, I would say $310 is pretty high and I could build something cheaper myself. However when you look at the cost of other battery solutions you quickly see that a DIY battery in this case would still come in at less than half the off-the-shelf batteries.
Mantafoil will need to work in the cost of the moulds into this price, so I think it’s pretty fair. It would take a serious DIY injection mould setup to do this yourself, so you at the mercy of the big companies doing it for you.
If you can beat that price, why not set up your own version and offer the DIYers here an alternative?

No, I am not interested in making money with my hobby.

1 Like

ok Nice :+1: but what do you mean by filling it with epoxy

I mean when your pack is in the casing, though the seal makes it waterproof I feel I it is good to have extra protection on such high capacity packs… So my plan is to fill the casing with either epoxy or 2 part silicon to improve further the waterproof of the end product.

The fact that some brand have some indicator for water to come in shows somehow that though the risk is low there is still chance for that to happen…
Therefore why not putting extra protection layers so in case that would happen the pack would still be safe.

Some safety suggestions. Cells needs some space incase they start to pop. The case has to have breaking points incase if any cells blows up and internal pressure increases so the gas can get out rather than blowing up the case and harm the user