Anybody used VESC with Flying Rodeo motor?

I am trying to use the Flipsky HC 200A VESC with the Flying Rodeo motor unit and Metr.at and I must have a setting wrong because I can’t get the motor to spin at high RPM’s. I am using a 12s5p battery pack for testing, 12s10p when it’s back in the board. I tried using the vesc tool wizard to auto configure the motor but something must not be right. Any help would be great!

Below are stats and settings according to Metr.at:

Do yourself a favor and use the PC tool.
I goes step by step and shows you all relevant. The app wizard is great when it works, but if it doesn’t you can go down the rabbit hole of expert settings…which is no fun in the app… on a phone screen.

I haven’t used the app before. Just the VESC tool on Mac. But I’ll try and find a PC.

PC and Mac is the same.
Just use the VESC Tool and not any App version of it.

That’s all I’ve used. I don’t even own an Android phone.

So I’ve been able to get the motor to spin fast RPM’s again by changing the firmware.

I also calibrated the Maytech remote. It’s the only thing being weird now. I have to pull the trigger down really far (over 50%) before it starts spinning and when it does it goes full speed. Throttle curve is still set normal. When I try to re-run the wizard for calibrating it it says I don’t have the right firmware. lol

Ok I figured out why it was starting after 50%, the Pulselength center needed to match the Pulselength Start. Now it goes 0-100 between 0-20 on the remote. Last thing before this VESC seems “normal”, haha.

1 Like

Got it working by lowering the ERPM limit from 100,000 to 50,000. Not sure why it was set so high.

1 Like

Because 130kv x 12s x 4,2v x 8 pair pole= + 52k :crazy_face:

1 Like

but the metr in your video is definitely not on a computer.

and this

thats normal, just read the description of current control

Well, if you need the matching firmware/tool

ERPM is to protect the ESC. Too high ERPM kills the ESC. You can also use it to limit RPM, but your start up-fullspeed gets fixed by duty cycle control, not by changing ERPM settings.

I got it all sorted. I didn’t have the wrong firmware or anything. The vesc tool has a bug detecting which version I had (I had the latest) but the real issue was the ERPM. Now the remote works properly 0-100, not 0-20. I would never think that would be “normal” when it wasn’t that way with my Flier 400. Either way, I’m in business! Very excited to get additional data from this VESC.