I finally got enough time to dial in the gate resistance and timing and run a proper test. Dunno what I was seeing on monday evening but now I have video of the ESC/motor/prop working from 45V/54A input up to touching 50V/60A input. Thermal camera shows less than 60C. Right behind a giant propeller.
Unfortunately the VESC software seems to be limiting itself. I started the video at 45 ish volts and ramped up the throttle to 95%, then turned up the power supply voltage to 50 and you can hear the controller throttling back. I’m sure its some setting in the software, I could use a little help to find which one.
- Current limits in hwconf 4.10 and board.h are set to 200A (sensor can only sense up to 165A)
- max erpm is set to 200,000
- max voltage is set to 61, sensor can only sense up to 61.8
- no faults are reported
- power supply current limit is set at 150A input (and its the kind where it backs off the voltage, dont see that)
- haven’t messed with the timing advance, not sure what the process is for messing with it.
Overall I am very pleased with the performance. I think it will hit my design goals. For sure I need to make a better dyno that is not a loud whirlyblade of death.