Another Jet Propulsion Try

Bottom line, jets are more efficient in terms of prop safety and durability. The bigger the prop the more efficient it is in terms of producing thrust. I do agree a prop with reduction gear may be more efficient but then you add in the cost of $400 reduction gear which dont seem to last that long, plus the drag of a large 3D printed duct, plus the fact that a 3D printed duct if you fell on it will not stop you from hitting the blade (they do break with body weight) and I think we all saw the injury/cuts this gave one fellow prop rider here on the forum a couple months ago - OUCH!!! it could have been a lot worse too.

There are mainly two types of users I find (competitive racers/perfectionists/those wanting perfect performance/ best efficiency) and those (who want something I believe is a smoother ride, same thrill/fun level, safer, and more affordable and don’t stress over losing a few minutes of ride time) especially if you can just toss in another battery pack.

I’m shooting for the most efficient setup possible for what we have designed, the motor company is helping with optimal kv motor for least Amps/RPM on the motor power/efficiency scale. This alone will improve our DD jet efficiency another 10-20% or more at cruising speed. Exciting times!

That quite simply has nothing to do with efficiency. Efficiency purely relates to the power you get at the prop vs the power you put in with the Batteries.

4 Likes

ya I know haha I was saying jokingly. I knew it would get a response, relax :slight_smile:

@Toto44 We did test spray vs focused and spray works better for Underwater jets like we are using.

Good to know. Would you have efficiency figures in mind, % ?

We got just over 5% more with spray for the identical setup vs focused nozzle. Its not much, but every little bit makes a difference.