Adapter for GONG mast and Moses airplane

Try print this and see if it positions correctly: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4179178 (remember you may need to adjust the scale to counter shrinkage etc)

Looking at the adapter for slingshot and it has only holes for the bolts, no support on the side of the mast.
Do you think this is sufficient also for the gong-mast?

slingshot has more material compared to others.

I made a similar adaptor for gong mast to slingshot and didn’t have any noticeable wobble…
The critical part is getting the fitment into the Moses fuselage right…

Talked to my mechanical shop today and they suggested to mill out the cone-shape from the fuselage, it makes it all much easier. I might go with that.

That’s because they don’t understand why the cone shape is used… The cone allows you to pull the mast in much tighter than a 90 degree wall. Thus completely eliminating any chance of wiggle even with wear and tear in time.

1 Like

Well it really doesn’t do much if the mast lacks the same function connecting to the adapter.

That’s why you design it with an insert into the mast as well. That way you have a solid connection with zero play.

Yes, I like the idea of having something that eliminates play.

On the SS mast, it is the two M8 screws that take all the strain from the mast.
Then the two M6 screws create the link with the fuselage. One screw would probably be enough like on the KFBox, 93° on each face (3 holes though).

KFBOX

Food for thoughts: the Gong mast is thicker than the slot top surface by 1.8mm (14.7 - 12.9)

First of, there are many ways to do this.
This most likely the most expensive way, that doesn’t mean that it the best :slight_smile:
Second, I didn’t do this myself, it’s beyond my skill set.

My mechanical shop used EDM, electric discharge machining,to make a slot in the adapter that matches the gong mast profile to 100%.

The slot in the Moses fuselage was expanded to fit the adapter.

On the good side I might be able to do a similar slot in another fuselage and reuse the adapter.

On the bad side, I can’t used the Moses fuselage with a moses mast again.

Anyways it’s rock solid and looks great.

3 Likes

A very nice job. Would you post a pict or two showing how the fuselage slot looks like now ? Did you compensate the loss of carbon layers there ? What was inside the slot after milling - foam - solid carbon ? Beware that you’re using a kitefoil fuselage with twice as much load as a efoil but 2x to 3x as less materials though. Moses make good and nice products that float but/so don’t have the reputation to overbuild their products.

Fuselage is aluminium

Hi,
I am planning to make a takuma v1 alloy mast to Moses fuselage adapter.
How did you make yours?
Regards
/Z