80100 direct cooling

electric winch? wouldn’t that need even more power? :slight_smile:

Put up a picture of it, sounds great! The Boma motor is a large in runner for e-bikes right? do you protect it from water in some way?

Just did a test run, using a yamaha low pitch propeller, and it was much better than I expected, the top speed was amazing, according to the gopro when I was at 3/4 throttle it was 30kmh, i went nearly full throttle once after the gopro was put away and it felt like at least 35kmh :smiley:

I really expected the 7 1/4 x 5 propeller to be extremely slow, but it was fast and efficient. Rode for roughly 22 min down to 3.78V per cell on the battery (20AH 12S).

Verdict: BETTER than double motor. Video to come!

Mat: Thanks for introducing the 80100 motor DD on the forum, you were the first person to do it so deserve some kudos :clap:

6 Likes

Well done !
Which ESC did you use ?

I used the flier 400a 22S boat ESC, Im using the water cooling, it didn’t get ‘luke warm’ just a few degrees warmer than what it would have been if it were not being used :slight_smile:

That is great! Do you have a Solas prop for comparison as well? Would be interested how it performs compared to the lower pitch yamaha. I have a 80100 laying around waiting to be prepared, haven’t decided on a prop yet.

Your speed results somehow contradict @borntosurf222 's calculations regarding the 80mm motor, or not? Drag doesn’t seem to be much of a problem with that speed and range you are getting.

didn’t seem to be an issue at all, its quiet streamlined, maybe his calculations were for a flat 80mm circle? Ill have a video up in 25 mins so you can see.

I don’t have a solas prop, but I might order one for testing so we can compare.

1 Like

So you are running the Yamaha 7 1/4 x 5 without modification and without Duct ?

no duct, made the bore 12mm and grinded off the top maybe 10mm so it would slide onto the shaft fully and be bolted on the end.

heres the vid: never went full throttle in the video, only did after I put away the gopro :confused:

efoil test.mp4 - Google Drive.

5 Likes

Looks like its flying! Get a GPS on there to measure the speed :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Gopro GPS can be pretty accurate for very constant speed, from my experience you can even add several kmh on top, so he was maybe faster.

2 Likes

But depends on which gopro you have…

I don’t know about any difference, I would have guessed the Hero 5 and 6 have the same sensor, I have the 6 and it seems to have a 1 Hz sensor, no 10 Hz, so varying speed is a problem.

But that might be an older one without GPS too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That sounded like it has GPS :wink:

2 Likes

Its the hero 5, I only just got it so got the speed to work in ‘quik editor’ but i made he video in iMovie and for some reason the dial didn’t save… top speed was 30kmh at one point, average of 25kmh mainly.

top speed 30 KM/h with a 100KV on 12S and 5" pitch?

its 130KV, 12s…20char

edit: 5" pitch

It would be extremely interesting to have an apples to apples comparison (same prop) to @Mat s 80kv. I have the 80kv too and wonder if it will perform better or worse. I thought the 7 1/4 would be slightly too large even for 80kv, so now I am confused :smile: