80100 build... Motor or ESC not working... Troubleshooting

if you can put your hands on a second remote, it would be worth checking…

I might do that! I just tried putting the reverse mode back on even though my remote doesn’t have a reverse mode and the motor started spinning continuously without me being able to stop it even by turning off the remote… I had to disconnect the power to the ESC so for those who are testing their new efoil on the water, make sure that the program on your ESC is adequate for your remote!

i guess the esc doesn’t find the end point of the middle since the remonte has not reserve mode, the esc “thinks” maybe you are in reverse when you let go the trigger (?)

try to set the first end point manualy like 1.2ms or more or less …

Yeah this was my thought about the reverse mode. So I set the forward set point to fixed 1.7m/s which is the lowest there is and it doesn’t do anything different. The motor spins well for the first throttle attempt then nothing goes.

sorry i meant move the reverse point : try 1.0ms and 1.3ms

the other value 1.7ms-2.0ms is for full trigger so it hits max rpm

Would that matter since I turned off the reverse mode?

i don’t really know, i had the same problem this orther way with one esc, remonte had reverse, esc not… this is a reason why i choose vesc so you can see and set the value you need

usually:
1.0ms full reverse
1.5ms center
2.0ms full forward

since your remote doesn’t have reverse, the trigger at rest isn’t probably at 1.5ms

you can play with setting 1.0 -1.3 and 1.7-2.0ms to try to center if that the problem, or try settings with the reverse actived to see if the motor is always spinning, good luck, i know how it can be frustating

My ESC seems to understand how the throttle on my remote is… After I power on the remote, I can spin the motor at low or high speed by playing with the throttle so this works great. The problem is that once I release the throttle fully and try to spin the motor again… Nothing! I need to power off the remote then power it on again then I get another try… But once I release the throttle fully and try to reaccelerate… Nothing again! So I’m not sure if the remote is the problem or maybe my ESC is still not programmed right!

this is how my ESC is currently programmed!

hard to tell because you have a delay apply by the esc before reversing, i don’t know if it never sees the center line between forward and reverse it doesn’t shut itself…

this can take forever, best to try with another “classic” remote

Only some ideas: The ESC works if you move your throttle gentle, so only low current is possible. Where is the remote controls power supply coming from? Nearby ESCs Capacitors or more at the battery? I suspect the switching noise and overvoltage halting or resetting the receiver while the motor brakes.
I see the setting PWR Limit is OFF for both forward and reverse and the Delay Time is a quarter second. Is there no voltage limit? Do you use a Solid State Relay? What happens if the batteries are only half full?

1 Like

pg 5 : https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiNrraUptbkAhWox4UKHQt3A-YQFjAAegQIARAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.miniracingteknik.se%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F06%2FManual-of-ESC-for-Boat.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0iCTON8VbkVWX0uUmIX9Yf

magnet on the wire for the recever

another power supply for recever

This is my current set up. I do not use a solid state relay. The power limit is off so I can have access to the full power of my battery pack not just 75%. As the battery drains, the power available will be less but that’s ok. I’m also using a smart BMS for charging and discharging. Excuse my ignorance but could you elaborate more on what I could do to fix this problem? I am now able to normally use the remote and make the motor spin at any speed I want but if I let go of the throttle and try again… nothing! I need to restart the remote to get another single attempt etc…

The problem must be the remote… Is it an arduino remote?

Did you try to configure the Setpoints manually?
I dont unterstand and trust these autosettings :joy:

I tried some set points but I will try more combination! At this point, I think the remote might be faulty but it is weird since it obviously works… It just doesn’t respond after the first throttle attempt.

The remote died after the first on water test so it was no good anyway! I just received and set up the VX1 remote and it works great. No intermittent problem or anything and cruise control works even without a VESC. I will try my new set up with the separate power bank to power the receiver and water pump tomorrow!

hi
Does VX1 use magnet to control the throttle ? How to waterproof it?

No idea bc I haven’t opened it yet! @Halifax21 could probably tell you. For now, I’ll use it in a condom to see if I like it and then I’ll waterproof it by putting the motherboard in epoxy and conformal coating on the throttle components like @Halifax21 suggested. I’m trying it on water today but so far it looks very smooth and the cruise control works very well (the remote vibrates to tell you it is set and vibrates again to tell you that it is off).

2 Likes