3D-printed folding propeller

Which one you mean?

20char

“Foil Drive” Assist, the commercial but fairly prototype looking system in Australia.

I’ll give it a shot!

They failed by blade separation/shattering, presumably?

They look like they are. Does anyone have thoughts on two props rotating side by side? I saw something like that on a forum here yesterday, I could find it with some digging. But would that lower the force on each one by 50% or do the forces not increase linearly?

What do you mean? Just draw it in pencil on paper and take a picture.

Or casted in aluminium using @jeffM method, a 3D printer can print in lost wax too which gives a very nice finish.

Im thinking of two props arranged side by side like the rotors on a chinook helicopter, apologies in advance for the terrible drawing. Would it benefit in any way, or would the extra losses in drag on a second prop and from the gearbox assembly take away too much to make it worthwhile?

Plus the colossal drag if a much larger shroud was to be installed…

There wouldn’t be much benefit unless you wanted to downsize the motors and props. I designed a similar system to utilize 2 jets off one motor but there’s no real point as its just increased drag at the end of the day…

I guessed as much. In a similar vein, what if the motor shaft protruded from both ends and a prop could be fixed to the front also?

I only have access to a 3D printer so it would be great to have blades that dont break, without getting too invested in carbon fibre molding or alu casting.

Like so:

I notice I’m going off topic. let me do some research and I’ll start a new thread if i think its plausible. Thanks!

Its already been tried on the forum and had no advantage unless you wanted to use smaller motors…

1 Like

Ah ok. Good to know. Thanks.

If it was beneficial, it would have been promoted, tested, optimized, etc. here on the forum for several years. I think the main drawbacks are as follows:

• reduction in drive efficiency by about 30% (drive efficiency is the most important parameter for all e-drives)
  • significant increase in system failure rate
  • higher acquisition costs
1 Like

What was the failure mode of these PLA+ folding props, a photo would be interesting to see?

I wonder if polycarbonate would make for a stronger prop, if you could get it to print with enough detail, or sand it smooth.

The flexidrive folding propellors have a bumper to soften the shock of the blades opening up.

Problems I always had with any 3D printed prop is it just vibrating itself apart. Such a pain to get it balanced. I wish someone would just make a motor with the same shaft as Lift motor or someone would make a strong folding prop for the 65161 motors. I’ve tried making my own 3D folding prop designs but they never hold up for more than a handful of sessions. I should ask a machine shop for a quote.

Which filament were you using?

PETG prusament. 100% infill for blades and 70% for hub

Which part broke whilst vibrating to bits?

It seems that PETG is strong but brittle, and may not be the best filament for the impact of a folding prop banging open.

Polycarbonate might be more shock resistant and stronger.
ASA could be more suitable for post-processing, sanding, gluing extra weight, which is difficult with pla and petg.

The lift folding prop is expensive, and not feasible for a cheap foil drive build. Balancing props looks time consuming, likely more so with a folding prop, and one that mounts to 4 bolts onto an outrunner.

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. I think in the coming weeks I’ll still look into machining an aluminum option. It’s definitely going to be expensive but that’ll be worth it if I can finally ride swell unpowered.