Should Cutting Down Your Recycled Board Be the LAST Step?

After puzzling over how to cut down my mammoth windsurfer – and getting good advice from several here on this forum – I am now leaning towards a different approach. I have decided cutting my board to final size should be one of the last steps rather than one of the first. Here’s why:

• I need to test for correct basic function and waterproofing of my foil-mounted drive before I worry about actually foiling.
  • I also need to sort out any cooling and other electronics issues.
  • All these are easier to undertake on a big board that nicely floats me than on a smaller board.
  • Any necessary self-rescue when something dies will be far easier on a big board.

Only once all systems check out successfully and prove durable and reliable will I turn my focus to the actual business of cutting the board and getting up in the air.

Note that I am designing my board with a removable and adjustable foil. This makes cutting the board and final placement of the foil much easier.

Does this make sense?

1 Like

Totally agree. Better to make all tests in a stable board, then a board that sinks partially and a lot more things can go wrong.