Propulsion System - Motors, Gears, etc

with the 35kw motor you will have no need for water, the board will fly! 35kw or 35000watts is more less 50hp. To put that into perspective, my first car, 1999 1ltr nissan micra had 56hp.

3 Likes

ahahah lol ok thanks David

1 Like

DavidC,

Alienmotors have already that one (but 80mm !) Hopefully the price tag will be in same range :

Do you think that this would prevent us from needing the gearbox reduction ?
Also, I would be ready to pay for a premium for a ceramic / waterproof bearingā€¦

Thank you

Are you planning on testing this idea? I find it very attractive in its simplicity and durability compared to the PLE gears.

This is wat you need:

I looked at this when I started and I chose the more powerful SSS56104 with lower KV (500) instead. Better for the gearbox. There is even a 360kv SSS now. I also didnā€™t like the water cooling sleeve, we get that for free and better if inrunner is flush in the aluminum tube. Assume the sleeve could be pulled off and thrown out.

4 Likes

hey man,

I think the price tag will be around 160gbp. I have seen the C80100 in many variations, I think hobbyking used to do it a while back, its an out-runner and I am looking at using a in-runner but if your going down the outrunner road please keep me informed, I would be inetrested to see if it works.

regards, DavidC

Hi All, Iā€™m not saying itā€™s impossible, please excuse my cynicism, but my understanding of this motor is that yes, itā€™s too good to be true.

Itā€™s an inrunner right? and only 58mm in diameter, and 50KV? That would put the flux density way way up there. Iā€™m not going to calculate it, maybe later, but sanity check this against other 58mm dia motors like the 6374 turnigy which is a 2kW motor @ 12S/50V so 40A. And thatā€™s for an outrunner with better torque arm, so lower KV, higher currentā€¦

Just makes me wonder if they have a special magnet? Even so 120A into 2ohms is 28.8W of loss in copper, whatā€™s the strategy there? I know there is research on superconducting motors like Magnix, so these things are possible again too :slight_smile: I would believe these numbers if it was like 100mm wide perhaps, with 2x the pole pairsā€¦

Thereā€™s the power density argument too; whatā€™s your weight here, 1kg? itā€™s about 63110 size, 1.5kg? 2kW/kg seems to be an oft sited figure, and we are talking at least 4.7kW/kg here.

Even if it was only a 2kW motor I would want it. 50KV would give direct drive a solid advantage, so Iā€™d love to learn more, really interested in the final outcome.

1 Like

While working on wave energy converter system design (saros desalination) I worked with a few UNC professors who are developing a magnetic gearbox (magears i think is what they call theirs out of UNCC) for marine hydrokinetic generators and offshore wind turbines. Pretty sweet concept. They had a smallscale demo prototype that was almost E-foil size but not sure if could actually work for extended periods.

Those are the most words I have ever seen Bruno type in one email. :rofl:

3 Likes

i know what you mean, a lot dose not add up. ill let you know when I find out .

Hi guys
Did someone got a good deal on the ple 40?
Can you share some linkā€™s ?
iā€™m from Israel so i need also worldwide shipping
Thanks

yea, i was looking at that one to at first, still waiting for the sss 360kv to arrive, thinking about building a 18650 120 battery at the moment 12s, its early days

1 Like

Yo Keith,

keep me updated on the 18650 pack. I am looking at them as well but cant find a ready made pack that has a suitable amount of ah discharge.

check out aliexpress Ebike batteries 20ah 48volt and see if you can spot anything suitable for our applications.

cheers, David.

@falu Did you find a supplier of the PLE040? Iā€™m currently also looking for a supplier also. Iā€™m tempted to try a chinese version for the moment as I suspect I will be going to a direct drive solution in the future.

Anyone with a PLE040 with clamping system know if the clamping part is interchangable? I have a 10mm motor shaft the and clamping system only takes 8/9/11mm shafts. Not sure if I should get the 11mm clamping system and then use a packer to make it fit the 11mm clamp. Anyone have thoughts whether this will work?

Other option is to get 8mm clamping system but then requires a 10mm-8mm coupler which lengthens the design and adds extra parts.

I bought a new PLE040 and spent a fair amount of time researching and talking to their sales engineer. The clamping part is fixed from the factory. The situation isnā€™t perfect for a 10mm motor shaft.

I didnā€™t find any good deals on the PLE 40 yet,
Can you share links for the Chinese gearbox ? whatā€™s the input RPM for that gear?

Its a copy of the PLE040. Indicative price is US$125.7 each plus $49 shipping. They said the max input speed is 10,000rpm, so the not high enough also.
Chinese PLE040

i had discussion with this supplier , it seems they can provide reducer for our need. price is just little bit under:
(few month back price was 70ā‚¬, they increase it)

https://fr.aliexpress.com/store/product/42mm-Micro-Planetary-Speed-Reducer-GP42-01-planetary-gearbox/506137_469623817.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.5bdadf47K2qast

1 Like

@Gobbla
Hereā€™s another one a lot cheaper again. I wonder what the quality is like.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/42mm-Micro-Planetary-Speed-Reducer-GP42-0-planetary-gearbox/517569017.html?spm=a2g0w.12010108.1000013.1.63dc47abRvzYnZ&traffic_analysisId=recommend_2088_1_90158_iswistore&scm=1007.13339.90158.0&pvid=eb4f1ee3-d886-4043-9c70-758c3723c29b&tpp=1