Propulsion System - Motors, Gears, etc

Hi David and Hi Sunrise,

Thank you Sunrise for the positive feedback, much appreciated.

As much as I enjoy designing stuff but my biggest fear is wasting time reinventing the wheel…
this rather lame youtube video merits fast forwarding to get to the part where you see the size of the motor and prop

To me it shows a rather HUGE diamter motor and fairly modest propeller.

The board seems to behave beautifully under dynamic conditions as in I would buy one if I had $12 000 lying around.

Cheaper to just figure out what motor, propeller and electronics are needed leaving $9000 for machining?**

Leaving $1000 each for the motor, electronics, battery housing…

yeah i definitely agree but from what i have found trolling motors are configured to be a heavy slow oil tanker ship while efoils is more of a jetski speed boat configuration .

but again i could be wrong and would love to see your tests if you get one working with a trolling motor

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I have not seen this video before. Yes, the motor is huge by comparison! And I love the integrated heat sink! And yes I too am happy not to reinvent the wheel. In large measure that’s why I’m mostly following Pacificmeister’s build. I just now have all the parts in hand so we’ll see how that goes.

1 Like

They running the torqeedo cruise prop and I would bet they also running a 5.5kw motor through the torqeedo cruise gearbox. They using 14S batteries to bring the ESC requirements down.

1 Like

Hello team,

I am thinking about a similar construction sealing in an aluminium box with 4 ultra thin chain gears. It is possible to accomplish the reduction 4:1. The only problem could be the weigh. It weighs more that half a kilo.

4 Likes

There is a topic with belt reduction which is quite similar but not as heavy, see here:Timing Belt Reduction - Propulsion System (Motor, Gears) - FOIL.zone

TY Jezza I just saw this. My jaw was dislocated for 25 years without a single doctor noticing and when it popped back it was agony after about 24 hours like my body forgot it what it was to be normal…that is about when I first asked you guys about this so thanks again.

500 grams to save $400 (I AM A HUGE FAN AND have prototped the above myself but single stage and 25 or 35 or 45 gears) and avoid wearing out and…gear chain drives are about 98-99% efficicient while planetarys are half as efficient per stage i believe (very approximate but chains rule much to my surprise, beating out even helical gears??? wtf?)

Hi,

We have 2 propulsion system available?

Min 12s batery

Very eficient system

7 Likes

what is the thrust rating ? what is the price?

how much does it cost?

modern planetary reduction unit are quit efficient though
1 stage 97%
2 stage 95%
3 stage still 91% efficiency

What price is it, and complete, with everything? Can you contact me?

Yes but at these power requirements 10% of 8000 watts is 800 !!! watts JUST for powertrain losses verus 1%?

Now add losses in the ESC, high speed impeller versus prop losses, losses due to internal impedancwe in the motor windings… you will end up with losses of 2000-3000 watts just in UN NECESSARY design flaws.

I have the highest, absolutely HIGHEST respect for the early innovatiors on this site and we all know their names and I see those names spoken with something bordering on reverance, even th ose early innovators were the very first people to say guys we need a direct drive or belt reduction…

anyway I am behind with work so this will be last post

I wish you all the best

To PM, Amber, and some other regular contributors thank you for welcoming me to this forum and more importantly thank you for sharing (and I didnt forget “virus”) your knowledge unique skill set and more importantly your patience and passion both for this endorphin based sport and for the ancient art of ingenious innovation and application also called less favorably “engineering”.
be back soon, which could be in a hour or two years depending on work and my health
all the best
Piotr Kay
aka borntosurf and “surf naked” from my favorite bumper sticker and I wonder why cops pull my stickered van over so much !

(two years ago i replaced a leaking 15 foot aluminum boat a gift from my dementia affected father which we used to fish on lake ontario safely by never venturing further than 10 minutes from shore at 30 knots or 1 hour from shore at 5 knots…)

two years ago, the engine quit just before a storm, storm hit, 5-6 foot waves, the Police Marine unit towed my son to (my only son) and the boat caught fire exactly one hour later and was totalled

I bought another one and the bearings failed after my son neglected to winterize it properly and this time we were towed to safety by the volunteer coast guard

So my interest in reliability is very personal

cheers
respect
Pete

As per my knowledge prop is related to speed and torque but I agree we should start a separate prop tread and many other. I’ll get a prop thread going, IU just took a pic of all my prop experiments.

complete pcb

Hello there :slight_smile: so what price on a system ? And what is included ?

new high RPM,no gearbox, direct drive jet propulsion idee
some sugestions?
fits standaard on the pacificmeister design (with special shaft)

9 Likes

Very interesting! I would love to ditch my Neugart gearbox and all the heat it generates. Are you using the SSS KV 500 motor? Looking forward to your first in-water test results.

Hi
This can be used as an alternative to the gearbox?

I was currently looking at that and I really don’t think it would be a bad gearbox.