Propellers and Ducts

I face the same problem when opening the igs in fusion. I am not able to convert it into a body which i could combine with the hub. Javaprop stores it as a boundary representation brep and you can convert it in fusion to a kind of spline object or a mesh, but it does not help.
I think there is one option in MODIFY in javaprop to set the trailing edge thickness. Try setting it to 0.
I have still doubts if javaprop is able to generate the correct geometry, because its printing in cartesian coordinate looking like an airplane making linear movement, but it has to go in circle. It cannot produce an interface to the hub, just mess in this region. The output has not much to do with commercially sold propellers, question is, who is right? Commercially might be good but somehow outdated, while javaprop might not be optimized for water propeller design.
To make it worth printing my own props, there should be a better design and analysis available.

I use the aluminium prop gobbla tested, thank you gobbla! I trimmed the diameter down to 17cm on a lathe and use it in a duct. It needs lots of torque most motors cannot provide without a reduction gear. I think the diameter can be reduced further. I just asked Bruno from Alien if he can provide a 6384 with less kv, he agreed.
So, which kv would fit your needs best? At which velo do you want to end with 12s?
Is anyone keen on learning how to make such an outrunner waterproof? Shall i set up a new thread about this?

Yes, would be very intersting to learn how you make them waterproof.

We were drawing 98A from the looks of it, but the amp meter started flashing and we couldn’t tell for sure. Something is up with that expensive amp meter worth $7.99… not sure why :slight_smile:

We just ordered the Eagle Tree eLogger with digital screen and accessories for proper inline Volts/Amps, Motor RPM, and GPS speed w/ mapping.

FYI HobbyKing has the complete Eagle Tree line of products saving $51 from regular retail prices the parts we just ordered:

Sascha, thanks very much for the walkthrough of JavaProp. You are ahead of me in the actual CAD work but I did notice that your parameter for water Kinematic Viscosity is off … should be around 1.5x10-6 (i.e. you are missing a zero). Not sure what difference that would make. This is a great program and I hope we can collectively learn how to leverage it better…

Hi Moggleuk,

thank you for your hint! I corrected it in my settings. Fortunately it didn’t make much of a difference. :slight_smile: I’m a bit lost how to fix my problems regarding the further CAD design process. I’ve read in other forums, that more experienced makers managed to design and 3d print or CNC mill marine propellers with JavaProp, so it should be possible. So let’s keep digging into this. :wink:

Cheers,

Sascha

1 Like

Hey @Taylor, see ^^ … To help everyone with the CAD design here we should look into hooking your new parametric Fusion 360 prop setup to read blade shapes that come out of this JavaProp tool.

2 Likes

Hallo Meister,

would be glad to share a JavaProp blade with you and Taylor to hook it into the parametric Fusion prop.

Cheers,

Sascha

1 Like

my friend has a CUDA underwater scooter with quite alot of trust. They use a very similar propp with adjustable pitch, I had some ideas to test it one day too.

5 Likes

Wow ya thats amazing, and great to see that prop blade design else were as that is exactly what our prop software is showing us is the most efficient for the thrust and RPM we are looking to use. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

they seem to have made a gearbox for their new model too

Gears:
https://dive-xtras.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/019-1000-BOM.pdf

Prop assembly:

https://dive-xtras.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/propellerassembly.pdf

2 Likes

It looks very promising but for low speed I think. I’ve got and info from them that the prop has around 200rpm in the water at lowest speed.

1 Like

hi, its interesting, i could buy that propeller and shroud assembly and give it a test,and see the results, im still a bit away from testing tho, you said 200rpm is its speed, what do you think will happen putting 3200rpm through it, wonder if it could handle it, or would it warp with the stresses,

it seems so slim in its design, compared to an outboard engine propeller etc, does having a larger surface area help with thrust, i haven’t got a 3d printer, so im trying to source existing parts out there, all though a friend has a few laths and things, planning to make most of the parts with alloy

1 Like

We found the perfect prop! Don and I at Autodesk University

5 Likes

Hi PowerGlider,

I got in touch with Lars Christensen (Fusion 360 guru with an own Fusion 360 tutorial channel on YouTube). He came back to me with a very simple solution. Once you imported the hull as a *.iges file from JavaProp, you switch to the patch workspace…

After that you select “create/ patch”…

Then you select a boundary edge of the airfoil “hull” and click “ok” in the dialog box. (do this for both open ends of the airfoil)…

This enables you to transform it into a “closed” hull. Last step is to “stitch” the three surfaces together to one body. Just select “Modify/ Stitch”, select the three surfaces and click on “OK”.

The result is a regular Fusion 360 body that can be integrated in a propeller design.

I also got in touch with Martin Hepperle (author of JavaProp) and asked him some questions about hydro prop design. He confirmed, that JavaProp is able to design proper hydro props but under consideration of some basic conditions. It’s a very long reply with lots of propeller voodoo in German. As soon as I have figured it all out and translated it to English, I give you an update on this, if you like.

@pacificmeister / Taylor: Now we might also be able to incorporate JavaProp propeller blades into you parametric propeller design?

Cheers,

Sascha

8 Likes

Great Job @Roboshack !!!
Cant wait to test a prop specifically designed for the speed, RPM and torque each of our setups provide… !

2 Likes

hi everyone, its good to see a tailor made design in the works, brilliant*
has anybody ever tested one of these prop/duct assembly’s, i was thinking to test the 150mm model, and maybe try different props using the duct body, i don’t want to risk buying one if there no good for the job

the duct on those propellers look like kort-nozzles. (low performance) you should go for rice speed nozzle (high performance nozzles with airfoil cross sections, not straight).

2 Likes

Actually with a efoil at max speed, a thin straight nozzle, purely designed for that would most likely be better. Both kort and rice nozzles are designed to give enhanced thrust at lower speeds. They do this by reducing tip losses. But eventually he shroud becomes drag at high speeds.

2 Likes

@Roboshack Could you please post the original answer of Martin Hepperle in German? I think there are a few native germans on the forum and they might profit from that.

4 Likes